Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapped Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 AM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wrapped Exhaust??

Anybody have any pics of V&H Straight shots wrapped? I'm thinking about wrapping my exhaust but I'd like to see some pics of it done so I can get a better idea of what it will look like. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:15 PM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master

Anybody?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at wrapping my Hooker Troublemakers, and would like to see, or hear from, someone who has done these. I hope you get some posts on this.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:49 PM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master

Mainly I'm wondering if I should remove the heat shields and wrap the pipes or leave them on? Also how much of the pipe would look good wrapped?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by scorchedearthpolicy
Mainly I'm wondering if I should remove the heat shields and wrap the pipes or leave them on? Also how much of the pipe would look good wrapped?
I don't know about taking the shields off. only seen couple bikes with the wraps and didn't talk to owners.

Only U can deciede how much.. both I've seen had 2-1 and they only wrapped to the muffler.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 AM
aaron8771
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrapped my short shots

I wrapped my shortshots this spring. Used black wrap. Looks really good. Sorry no pics of it yet. But i will tell you, the exhaust is very hot on my leg. Unbearable sometimes. Think this winter i'll have my heat shield powder coated and put that back on. Never saw anybody wrap over the heat shield. Not sure how that would look.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
fryejs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped the headers on my buell and the key is to get them to cook off. Once you have wrapped pipes you never want to park the bike with damp/moisture in or around the headers, they will start corrode. if you leave the shields on you risk that happening. my pipes were always unbearbly hot and now tollerable with the wrap. if you go black make sure to get high temp black spray for wrap (autozone), once the wrap is installed and dried intially spray them to get them really black and install and cook--btw be sure to have it outdoors, it will smoke like a train.

hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:28 PM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master

Thanks for all the tips! I think I'll add that to my list of things to do during the down time in the winter.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:59 PM
6165hd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrapped with 1/2 inch exhaust wrap, wrap it tight, and about 1/4 inch to no more than a 1/2inch over wrap going down the header pipes. Sprayed with Black Silicon paint for exhaust wrap at advanced auto. Did mine in the winter, and so far no fraying or issues unwrapping or cracking, about 5,000 miles so far, on 1st wrap job.
Pipes where mother hot, without heat shields, the wrap helps for sure, but if your stuck in traffic, they still get hot. But they help alot for sure. Don't use the crappy exhaust wrap ties, use pipe clamps from the auto store.,

Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 AM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master

Originally Posted by 6165hd
Wrapped with 1/2 inch exhaust wrap, wrap it tight, and about 1/4 inch to no more than a 1/2inch over wrap going down the header pipes. Sprayed with Black Silicon paint for exhaust wrap at advanced auto. Did mine in the winter, and so far no fraying or issues unwrapping or cracking, about 5,000 miles so far, on 1st wrap job.
Pipes where mother hot, without heat shields, the wrap helps for sure, but if your stuck in traffic, they still get hot. But they help alot for sure. Don't use the crappy exhaust wrap ties, use pipe clamps from the auto store.,

Thanks for the pics! Looks real good on your ride.

Quick Reply: Wrapped Exhaust??