Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any big changes with the Heritage Softail since 2007?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any big changes with the Heritage Softail since 2007?

I'm now riding a big metric cruiser but I'll probably be on the lookout for something else in the next year or two, as far as Harleys go, I've narrowed it down to the Road King or the Heritage Softail. I won't be buying new but used BTW.

The Road King actually feels a lot like my current bike so I know that I'd take to it right away but I did take a Heritage Softail out for a demo ride and loved it. I know that if I did go with a Road King, I'll focus on anything from 2009 and up since it got the new frame improvements, etc...

But what about the Heritage Softail? Were there any significant improvements from 2007 until now? I'm starting at the 2007 model year because they came out with the bigger 1584cc engine and I believe that they had also addressed the problem with cam chain tensioners by then too(please correct me if I'm wrong).

My wife prefers the Road King but I'm split between these two bikes. What I find kind of odd with the Road King is that they don't seem to put on a very nice comfy saddle, especially for the pillion. Kind of odd since it's the "king of the road". So, you'd have to replace that seat in short order, more money! I find that the stock Heritage Softail's saddle is more comfy and plush then the Road King's, go figure!

At first I was just considering a used Road King but I think that I'll have to include the Heritage on that list too, I just need to research it a bit and educate myself as much as possible.

The Road King looks nice enough and is great for long hauls but the Heritage probably looks a bit better and is perhaps a better all around kind of bike, maybe better in and around town than a RK but still pretty decent out on the highway.

Anyone care to chime in on this?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No significant changes in the Heritage since 07. When I went shopping for a bike in 08 I had no idea what to look for. Went into the first HD dealer I'd ever been in to just look around.

Sat on a bunch of bikes and the Heritage fit me the best. So that's what I got. Been very happy with it. Too much perhaps because I've tried to move up to a touring bike and I've demoed every HD touring bike made, but none of them have that in the bike feel I've grown accustomed to.

Having said that I have also sat on tourers with aftermarket seats and bars on them and have been impressed with the fit and comfort over the stock ones. Still a different feel than my softail but I haven't ruled one out altogether.

I like the beefier frame, solid rims and dual caliber/abs brakes, and maybe even a fairing. Streetglide would probably be my pick because of it's lowered height and versatility.

If you do get the Heritage and plan and do much 2up riding plan on getting a touring pillion for your pass.. The stock is useless for anything over 50mi.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Thanks for your response jimmers1817!

I'm thinking that if the Heritage Softail is a decent enough "touring" bike once a good after-market saddle and floorboards for the pillion are installed, it might be the most versatile Harley.

And if a set of Ghost Brackets were installed on the saddlebags, the Heritage could basically be turned into a Deluxe when the bags and windshield are removed. The back rest could be geared-up with a quick disconnect gizmo too. That would be my ultimate Harley I think.

While I really like the Road King, the bags would have to stay on and I wouldn't be able to change its looks on the fly, like I could with a Heritage with Ghost Brackets.

The Heritage without the windshield, bags and backrest would look like an entirely different bike, really bad-*** looking IMHO. But still practical when the bags and everything else is re-installed.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 PM
bloodyhead
Novice

The way I hear it, The 2010 is cheaper and has a new fifth gear that fixed the anoying rattle in the 07,08 and 09 six speeds. I like my 07 just find and as for the seats,you might want to invest in a set of airhawks if you plan on road trips.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Sig556
Cruiser

I see no major change, I have 08, I looked at 10 sunday, the rims were different(rounded), speedometer was different, I still like 07,08 much better.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Hangfire1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Deluxe that I'm changing into a Heritage but I like the RK's too.

For best all around bike I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the Heritage!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts
Default We''l take the FLSTC

yes the 10 FLSTC has been lowered a K in price.
I can't really can't say everything the 10's have changed since the 07's.

Son got a new 09 NT, march of this yr, traded in his 07. He say's the 09's tranny is quieter. (Neither his or mine 07 had made much 5th gear whine anyway) and the 09 has no clunk when starting.. so I would think the 10's are if anything better.

The new Heritage floorboards are more rounded. The brakes R different, not saying better just can see them easier in caliper. Tank panel is new, Not sure but I believe the axle or nuts a different..

U'r right, the newer rear pillion is even better than the 07's, but I had to get the wife the touring seat and backrest, along with rear floorboards for her comfort.
It diffently made the wifes time in the saddle increase, from 1hr max with pain to 3-4 hrs riding without pain...

We don't do long trips but ride usually 2-4 daily weather permitting

Last edited by oct1949; 08-25-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Lee Minske
Advanced

I just picked up a New Signature Series Seat With Rider Backrest From Harley-Davidson off of a for sale site on facebook. It's brand new and never used so i'm gonna find out if it's as good as what the couple of reviews i read about it truely say it is. Sturgis in just a couple weeks away so that's as good a time as any to give it a good road trip.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:30 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Heritage was my first Harley in 05...great looking and riding bike, but I was single then. When I got married I wanted a bike better suited for two up. The Heritage only has one brake disc on the front. The other touring models have two. That's way I decided to go with the Ultra Glide Standard 07...then the Ultra Classic 09....Glad I did that.