Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal relocation - how to rewire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 AM
snakeyes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal relocation - how to rewire?

Ive just purchased a front turn signal relocation kit so I can take the signals off the handlebars of my cross bones and place them on the forks. How hard is it to cut the wires the desired shortened length and reconnect to the signal housings? any suggestions and watch outs?

Old 09-06-2009, 03:02 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I wouldn't cut the wires, but get the required pins form the dealer and re-wire to the correct length from the connector to the new lights, that way you can always re-instate if needed!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeyes
Ive just purchased a front turn signal relocation kit so I can take the signals off the handlebars of my cross bones and place them on the forks. How hard is it to cut the wires the desired shortened length and reconnect to the signal housings? any suggestions and watch outs?
Usually you can jsut zip tie the extra portion of wires somewhere out of sight. No need to cut. You can unplug the signals and take the connectors off the end to as opposed to cutting. Do a search for molex connectors as I think those are what are on your bike for the signals.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 AM
04Springer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did it on mine while I had the tank of for my handlebar install. Mounted them on the forks and tied off the access wiring under the tank using zip ties.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Springer
I just did it on mine while I had the tank of for my handlebar install. Mounted them on the forks and tied off the access wiring under the tank using zip ties.
Nice. Cutting wires is usually unnecessary, but you need to have the right tools for the job. Zip ties in this case. But removing the tank is a hassle. It's that darn crossover that is a PITA.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I moved mine up under my passing lamps. I just zipped tied the wires to the forks. Not noticeable. I guess you wouldn't want to do that if you are going for a "Show" look but works fine for my purposes.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:26 AM
04Springer
Advanced

Originally Posted by anubisss
Nice. Cutting wires is usually unnecessary, but you need to have the right tools for the job. Zip ties in this case. But removing the tank is a hassle. It's that darn crossover that is a PITA.
Tell me about it...I had disconnected the lines and gas was going all over the place. No one home to help either. IT WAS A SHOW!!! Got some of the gas out prior...but not all of it.

BTW, I learned my lesson on cutting wires for installs. I cut all of my switch wires, soldered them back, and put everything back together only to find myself pinching wires and blowing fuses within a week. If you can do it without cutting wires...then go for it. Might take a little more time, but in the long run it will be better.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
RedBen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 04Springer
BTW, I learned my lesson on cutting wires for installs. I cut all of my switch wires, soldered them back, and put everything back together only to find myself pinching wires and blowing fuses within a week. If you can do it without cutting wires...then go for it. Might take a little more time, but in the long run it will be better.
I cut mine 5 years ago. I also lengthened the switch wires for the new bars I got at the same time. No electrical issues yet.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBen
I cut mine 5 years ago. I also lengthened the switch wires for the new bars I got at the same time. No electrical issues yet.
If you do it this way make sure to solder and shrink wrap well...Not my style, but sometimes it has to be done.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just zip tied mine under the tank too.

Quick Reply: turn signal relocation - how to rewire?