Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering head adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering head adjustment?

I just had my steering head bolt tightened up (at my local dealer) as i was getting a wobble at about 65 - 75 mph. Well after the tightening the wobble went away. So i thought...Now at around 75 - 85 wobble is back occasionally. Will tightening up stearing bolt more solve this occasional wobble problem? I'm assuming this is my problem because i had a wobble at lower speeds then had steering bolt tightened and now wobble is at a highter speed. Spokes-alignment-tires were all checked at dealer. Any ideas?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Torque it to the factory recommendation and see if it makes a difference. I gotta check mine this week although there is no wobble.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

The first time i took it to a dealer for this problem i had them check it and they told me it was loose but with-in factory specs which was a BS excuse. So then i took it to another dealer and they complied with the first dealer but the difference is that they tightened it up more. So im assuming it is tightened to specs now. But im wondering if tightening down even more to the higher scale of specs would cure my wobble? I took my bike out of town this weekend and traveled on some 70mph freeways and really noticed this wobble at about 80mph (off and on) or even at higher speeds when i was passing other autos at 85+mph. ideas? Most of the roads i travel on are 65mph or less which i now notice NO wobbles.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My fatboy is loose as heck (according to the fall-away test) but I have never experienced any wobble at any speed.

I started a thread here asking for a bit of help tightening it up.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 PM
qbert1963
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, this is what I did- had the wheel trued, then had the wheel bal.,last but not least redid the fall away by the book but tightened the bolt to 70 ftlbs. Still notice a slight vibration, very,very slight.If it gets worse I'll change the neck bearings. Hope that helped you out.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:05 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What bolt are you torquing to 70 ft. lbs?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I know this stuff must be important,but back in the day we rode the hell out of our bikes and never worried about half the stuff that people write about here,nothing ever really seemed to happen except for the stuff you expected.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I know this stuff must be important,but back in the day we rode the hell out of our bikes and never worried about half the stuff that people write about here,nothing ever really seemed to happen except for the stuff you expected.
HUH???? sounds like a episode to the twilight zone.....

Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

blk&chrme,
when you experience the wobble, immediately take an offramp and see if you can get it in the other direction. I get a bit of wobble at 80+ into a headwind. If I turn 180 and ride 80 with the tailwind, it is solid as a rock. this tells me the headset is fine. I think the super wide bars contribute to bad aerodynamics.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
blk&chrme,
when you experience the wobble, immediately take an offramp and see if you can get it in the other direction. I get a bit of wobble at 80+ into a headwind. If I turn 180 and ride 80 with the tailwind, it is solid as a rock. this tells me the headset is fine. I think the super wide bars contribute to bad aerodynamics.

Thanx agro i will try that this weekend.

Quick Reply: Steering head adjustment?