Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding 2:1 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Theo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions regarding 2:1 exhaust

Well I've decided that I'm going to get a 2:1 exhaust, I just can't stand the performance of my big radii anymore. I have a question though. The 2:1 pipes that I really like are the classic looking kind. Like the ones on the touring models or on the Heritage Springer. But most of the type I see for sale, have that big ole Y collector and usually a huge megaphone end. I'm not really into it, but I'm trying to be more function over form. So my questions are, how much of a difference do the different designs have? Are there pros and cons for them? If I went with a classic design, would I be missing out on a lot of power? I'm really only interested in low end torque if that makes a difference. Thanks so much

Old 09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm.... I wonder how much noticible gain you would get on a stocker by doing a 2-1.....

I can tell you this. By going from a set of big shot staggereds with the power chamber to a Rinehart 2-1 I picked up some nice midrange gains. Noticible both seat of the pants and big on the dyno.

Here the back to dyno run's comparing the 2 pipes...See how the 2-1 makes a bundle of money where it counts? This is on a 95" motor with a set of SE 211 cams and I have had some headwork done.....

I actually like the look of the rinehart on my bike as it seems to flow with my weirdo theme? Well I like it better than the "Glam" days...

Look at my before and afters. Glam was good but I needed to go darker and....Creepier? I swapped out the short shots for big shots though as the shorts did crappy on the dyno.

And heres the idle on the Rinehart....

The Rinehart 2-1 is a pretty boy "Noisemaker" pipe that performs OK where say a D&D Fat Cat is designed purely for performance and performance alone and not much can match the absolute power making ability of the Cat...My guess is that if went with a Fat Cat I may could gain 3HP and 3-4 Lbs TQ? I dunno the Rinehart worked for me and I liked the way it looked...If it ever gets dinged or something weird I'll try out a Lo-Cat!!.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Theo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks chaz for the info. Well my bike is not completely stock, it's got a stage 1 air cleaner and a 95" big bore kit. I'm also planning to change the cams sometime down the line. The rinehart looks great on your bike but that's not the look I'm going for with my bike. I would really like to go with something like this (just the pipes; not the saddlebags and stuff)

But would I be missing out on performance if I went with something like this as opposed to a Fatcat. What function does the Y collector serve (is that what it's called)? What purpose does the megaphone design serve? I'm not too concerned with dyno numbers only butt dyno. I guess my main concern is would I be short changing myself with the spring type exhaust. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Theo; 09-14-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
netvampire
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could go with the kirker header, there 1 3/4'' diameter so there are a lot of different repo mufflers that will fit. fishtails/cigar/flash gordon/trumpet/megaphone. etc. the kirker mufflers are a little big and heavy, but also come with different end caps.They also make an internal disc series,like the supertrapp. I found mine a little quiet(standard core baffle) and too long. so replaced with an ebay special.the kirker muffler bottom pic with fishtail end cap.

Last edited by netvampire; 09-14-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by vze1mk7d
Thanks chaz for the info. Well my bike is not completely stock, it's got a stage 1 air cleaner and a 95" big bore kit. I'm also planning to change the cams sometime down the line. The rinehart looks great on your bike but that's not the look I'm going for with my bike. I would really like to go with something like this (just the pipes; not the saddlebags and stuff)

But would I be missing out on performance if I went with something like this as opposed to a Fatcat. What function does the Y collector serve (is that what it's called)? What purpose does the megaphone design serve? I'm not too concerned with dyno numbers only butt dyno. I guess my main concern is would I be short changing myself with the spring type exhaust. Thanks for the help.
The pipe on that springer cant really be designed for big gains...Its more designed to look cool. Which in turn is Cool!

The megaphones on the performance oriented pipes do kinda what adding discs to say a supertrapp would do control back pressure in conjunction with the baffling.

The Y shaped collectors are surely the product of countless hours of dyno tetsing by the pipe manufacturers....Its how they get the things to scavenge properly.

I cant say because I havent ever ridden a bike with that exhuast you pictured nor have I seen any substanative data showing the performance factor or comparision dyno runs.

Is your bike strong now or are you serious about more gain? What cams are you running and is your 95" a high compression version with milled heads and thin gaskets?

If you are after gain and gain alone you should be thinking D&D Fat Cat, R&B Racing, V&H Pro Pipe, Thunderheader, Bassani Road rage, Rinehart....I would venture to say in about that order!!

The pipe on that springer is a design that dates back to Evo's or even Shovelheads. I dunno what the headpipe size is or what the step in the pipe is....Those are critical issues to make these Twinkies run out strong and on top of their game.

I live and ride at 6000-8000 above sea-level. We lose about 10% HP/TQ up here. A 100HP/120TQ solid daily rider street build with lots of headwork and compression coupled with decent cams etc.. will make 90HP/105TQ up here as our air is thin and they just cant breathe right. I'm actually happy with 90-95 so long as it can make 100 Lbs of TQ and do it early than later!! Hence another reason the 2-1 was an attractive choice for me.

I dunno...I would post your query over at V-Twin Twin cam forum concerning the performance virtues of that pipe. These guys have been there done that and are a bit more "Motorheadish" than we are at this particular forum....Here:http://www.*****************/forums/twin-cam-engine-mods/

You can learn alot about pipes simply by reading through R&B Racings website. These dudes are dead dawg serious about performance:http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21/softail.html

Good luck and show us yer' setup when you are done!!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:45 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like Chaz has done way more research than I have......But I'm happy with my Fat Cat....except for the fact that it drags on hard right turns. But that may have something to do with the fact that I'm 2" down in the rear.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Well Beau seeing as you bought what is arguably the best performance pipe for Harley Davidsons ever built?

You dont need no stinking research!!!

Man the Vampires bike is badass isnt it...

I love that bike Vampire!!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know when I had a Fatboy I enjoyed having the thunderheader on it.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:06 PM
netvampire
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Well Beau seeing as you bought what is arguably the best performance pipe for Harley Davidsons ever built?

You dont need no stinking research!!!

Man the Vampires bike is badass isnt it...

I love that bike Vampire!!
Thanks mate, yours is one sweet ride,always look forward to ya changes.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by netvampire
Performance be dammned I can see why you want one of these pipes!! This thing is sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAsQimbUNsY

Quick Reply: Questions regarding 2:1 exhaust