Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Suggestions on Pipes for my 08 FXSTC

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM
CoronaZombie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Suggestions on Pipes for my 08 FXSTC

So i bought an 08 FXSTC and it has stock pipes, which needless to say, are way too quiet and well... sound like ***. So, the question is: What pipes do you guys recommend for a nice LOUD strong rumble. Looks are important too. My old Sportster had V&H Short Shots and sounded freaking awesome. I'm looking for a similar sound but a bit louder. I like the look of the V&H Big Radius the best.

Opinions and info is appreciated!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

My Standard is similar to your Custom without the bling. I like the V&H BSS. To me they look and sound great. If there is a down side to the pipes it's that so many bikes run them.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

U really answered Ur own question.
V&H's BR's 2-2 are good looking and perform decent.
there BSS's are also nice and have the power chamber for a little more bottom end, and they both have the famous VH sound...

So U can't go wrong with either of those.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
FXSTaCy
Cruiser

I have a 07 w/V&H BR's and like 'em. You could either change or remove the baffles. I left mine in to be kind to the neighbors.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the look of the BR 2-1. Toying with switching my hookers for it.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
bstewart71
Intermediate

+1 on the vh BR 2-2, had them on the 07 FXSTC before I traded it. these pipes look sweet on the custom! only thing I did different was I had thunder monster baffles in mine, a little deeper tone without the tinny bite, and plenty loud.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 PM
CoronaZombie
Advanced

Thanks for the advice guys!

I know lots of people run the BR 2-2's but damn do they look so fine. They just cost a pretty penny. Which reminded me.

I know nothing about how to install these. The dealership said something about upgrading the air intake, replacing the pipes and reprogramming the air/fuel mixture and said it was about 8 hours labor. Does this sound right? Does that mean I have to get one of those big Heavy Breathers. I don't like those. Will I be able to adjust the air intake to th needed amount for these pipes and get the stock look?

Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

I put the BR 2-1 exhaust on my Custom. I see the 2-2 everywhere, but I have not seen even one other bike with the 2-1.

VH says it's their most powerful non-competition exhaust, and folks ask me if it's a custom exhaust.......

seriously badass. nice, low rumble, it's great.....

they are expensive, but VH makes a very high quality product, and their chrome matches my HD stuff exactly....

Old 09-18-2009, 10:11 PM
poochiehog
Advanced

Check out the BUB Jughuggers. I have them on my 07 Springer.
I've had lots of pipes over the years but these are my favorites.
They are loud and deep with what I think is a great look.
Fit and finish are flawless.

Pooch

Old 09-19-2009, 01:26 AM
LowBoy08
Advanced
Default I finally settled for...

I also ride a 08 FXSTC, liking the looks of original "shortys" but looking for louder sounding pipes, I first went for a set of S&S tapered slip-ons : Exact same looks, louder & noticable torque increase for slip-ons but didn't get that nice deep rumble I was looking for. They had a fairly nice deed rumble at idle, a nice & LOUD mid range tone when cracking up throttle, but their anoying higher pitch when cruising at a steady speed soon made me looking for something else...............
2 nd choice was the right one. V&H BSS + Quiet baffles. Drove 100 miles or so with original baffles : Nice & LOUD, as expected, but too much of a "cracking" higher pitch tone over the entire RPM range.
If your looking for a nice / DEEPER sounding & LOUD rumble, get the Quiet Baffles, not quietter at all actually but you'l get rid of that higher, anoying pitch & might even save you a ticket (worked for me...) Baffles have a capped end & cops wont be able to run any kind of test rod any further then 10 inches in....... (thats the kind of test they do around here...Jerks.)

Have a look at my pics, I replaced original (cheap) fibreglass cloth with a tighly wrap (with copper wire) industrial heat resistant cloth, available at soldering supply stores. Thighly wrapping whatever material over your baffles (with any non corrosive type of metalic wire) assures easy removal for future maitenance.

About your concerns regarding original EFI reprograming / replacement ............. If you only go for an exhaust upgrade, (slip-ons or complete exhaust swap) original EFI unit will pretty well handle & make all necessary adjustments. You might experience some occasional pop ups on decelaration (up to you to figure if they are acceptable or not) Reprograming or EFI replacement is usually necessary only if you proceed with further modifications, high airflow intake, cams, etc..........

Attached Thumbnails Looking for Suggestions on Pipes for my 08 FXSTC-1.jpg   Looking for Suggestions on Pipes for my 08 FXSTC-2.jpg   Looking for Suggestions on Pipes for my 08 FXSTC-1.1.jpg   Looking for Suggestions on Pipes for my 08 FXSTC-3.jpg  

Last edited by LowBoy08; 09-19-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for Suggestions on Pipes for my 08 FXSTC