Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V & H Big Shots Long

Old 06-21-2006, 07:35 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V & H Big Shots Long

Spoke with my local HD dealer today and was asking him about aftermarket pipes. He suggested Vance & Hines Big Shots Long with Power Chamber. Told him that I will be getting a 2007 Heritage Classic (EFI) and wondered about what modifications would have to be done. He said all that needed to be done was a download. Does this sound right to you? Install pipes and download....done?

Old 06-21-2006, 09:22 PM
fatboy4ever
Cruiser
Default RE: V & H Big Shots Long

I had a stage 1 jet kit installed with my V&H big shots, you may want to check with him about that . . . . You will definetly love the sound! Congrats on the new bike.

Scott

Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 PM
slack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea that sounds about right. The pipes are not a problem at all to change out. The download is for your air/fuel mixture. The longs are a great look for the Heritage classic.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:32 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

So I would need the Stage 1 Jet Kit as well? Not wanting to sound "newbish" (well....I am ) but what is a Stage 1 Jet Kit? An upgraded EFI nozzle or air filter? btw, check out the Heritage Pictures thread. Found a 2003 100th anniversary Heritage Classic...looks brand new!!! Thinking about getting it instead....not sure yet though.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Mike05
Tourer

My understanding is jetting is for carbs, EFI downloads for fuel injection. Also, I've seen posts where the fuel injectors are changed out for a wider angle of spray or something of that nature. Not sure if that is needed if you are not going with the 95" or the 103" upgrade.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:32 PM
ltdan
Cruiser

Seems to be some issue about the downloads being available. Here is some info link

Hope the link works, it is now on page 3 under 2006 Remap. With an 06 efi to get the big shots long and se1 air cleaner you need to buy the SE Race Tuner or some equivelant fuel management device (V&H Fuel Pak, Power Commander, etc...).

I would expect the same issue with an 07 efi.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
greenscrambler
Intermediate

I have an 06 classic with the V&H Big Shot Longs installed. The dealer advised and installed the stage 1 download and air cleaner kit and so far I've been very happy with it. Bike seems more responsive and I picked up about 3/mpg. I do wonder if the V&H fuel management system might give better performance because it would be taylored to those spacific pipes.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:23 AM
softail2005
Road Captain

I was told by my dealer, the performance race guy, that if you install the stage1 kit you get a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and Screaming Eagle 11 mufflers. This just requires a download for EFI engines.

Now if you want to switch out pipes to something other that SE you must use a fuel management system ie; dyna jet power commander, race tuner or fuel pack (for V&H pipes only). The race tuner is big bucks like $500 it allows a much more variable fuel mapping and is good for folks who intend to add lots of modifications later. Such as cams, heads, larger bore, stroke, etc.

If you intend to just do a stage1 and use V&H pipes you can save some money and buy V&H's fuel pak for about $220 and set it yourself. It has their fuel mapps for their pipes and most of the bike models. I understand you can download more from the internet as they add more mapps. But if you decide to change something later you might have to buy another EFI tuner like the PC or Race Tuner.
This unit piggybacks on the EFI computer.

The dyna jet Power Commander is the same company that makes all the Dynos that the dealers use so its cost is in the middle, about $330-350 and it piggy backs on your EFI and can be set by the dealer or by you on your laptop or with the buttons on the front. It can be used for any level of engine performance but doesn't have as much flexibility as the Race Tuner.

The dealer Race Tuner, I understand does not piggyback on your EFI so they claim that its less likely to be a problem if something breaks. Don't know if that makes any sense or not.

If you are handy you can go with either the PC or the Fuel Pak and install them yourself, at considerably less money. You may not get the complete HP and TQ curve out of the bike that Harley will give you with the dealer installed dyno tune Race Tuner, but that will cost you close to $1500 if they do all the installation and two dyno runs.

So its a big decision and maybe your budget will dictate the direction you have to go. Unlimited pocketbook let the dealer do the job. If money must be budgeted then the fuel pak would be the cheapist way to go.

Our dealer has a service forum in Portland Oregon. Latus Motors, service, ask mike. He is a gifted racer and can answer any questions at any level of performance that you want to choose.

I hope this is helpful.

Lee

Old 06-23-2006, 01:02 AM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

Cool! Lots of info! If I get the 2003 Heritage Classic (pic posted in the Heritage pics thread), it's got a carburetor. Changing to aftermarket pipes will be a snap.....right?

Old 06-23-2006, 01:42 PM
mhendo
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an FYI... about getting the Big Shots Long at the Stealer. The Stealer in my home town wanted $749 for them. dennis Kirk will beat anybody's price by a buck (shipping tax whatever) and they list them for MSRP $649 but I found a place Direct Parts for $497. Just call up DK and tell them and give them the web site you found a better price at and they will check it and give you a better price by a buck. Mine should be here today for a grand total of $496.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V & H Big Shots Long