Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neck Bearing Adjustment 08 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:34 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=albertgiancarli;5666323]I have an 04 Fat Boy.

I saw an earlier post that the MOCO issued a service bulletin in 05-06(?) that indicated a higher torque value than that previously published for the stearing head bolt. I was a bit confused as I didn't think this adjustment was about applying specific torque to this bolt but rather having the correct Fall away.

I gotta admit I think the Fall away adjustment technique is low tech. Does HD now recommend a torque value instead of doing the Fall away??

**NO! NO! DO BOTH!!

...there's too much subjectivity to the Fall away method.

**RIGHT YOU ARE!!

**OKAY...I PREVIOUSLY POSTED INFO ABOUT THE MAINTENANCE BULLETIN #1215 ADDRESSING FRONT END CLUNK. COVERED 2006 AND EARLIER SOFTAILS AND SOME DYNA. IT STATES, IN PART, THE STEERING HEAD BOLT SHOULD BE TORQUED 70-80 FOOT POUNDS...THEN ADJUST FALL AWAY BY THE BOOK. BY THE WAY, THERE IS A HEAVY DUTY FLAT WASHER AVAILABLE AT HD TO REPLACE THE STOCK FLIMSY ONE. OTHERWISE YOU CAN'T TORQUE IT AS HIGH. TORQUEING BEFORE FALL AWAY DOESN'T MAKE SENSE BUT...IT DOES WORK. AT LEAST IT DID FOR ME. I CAN'T IMAGINE LATER MODELS NOT HAVING SIMILAR TORQUE VALUES AND PROCEDURES. GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by WFA; 10-03-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 PM
fattyboyy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks to everyone for the help

Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 PM
conroskie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=WFA;5671740]
Originally Posted by albertgiancarli
I have an 04 Fat Boy.

I saw an earlier post that the MOCO issued a service bulletin in 05-06(?) that indicated a higher torque value than that previously published for the stearing head bolt. I was a bit confused as I didn't think this adjustment was about applying specific torque to this bolt but rather having the correct Fall away.

I gotta admit I think the Fall away adjustment technique is low tech. Does HD now recommend a torque value instead of doing the Fall away??

**NO! NO! DO BOTH!!

...there's too much subjectivity to the Fall away method.

**RIGHT YOU ARE!!

**OKAY...I PREVIOUSLY POSTED INFO ABOUT THE MAINTENANCE BULLETIN #1215 ADDRESSING FRONT END CLUNK. COVERED 2006 AND EARLIER SOFTAILS AND SOME DYNA. IT STATES, IN PART, THE STEERING HEAD BOLT SHOULD BE TORQUED 70-80 FOOT POUNDS...THEN ADJUST FALL AWAY BY THE BOOK. BY THE WAY, THERE IS A HEAVY DUTY FLAT WASHER AVAILABLE AT HD TO REPLACE THE STOCK FLIMSY ONE. OTHERWISE YOU CAN'T TORQUE IT AS HIGH. TORQUEING BEFORE FALL AWAY DOESN'T MAKE SENSE BUT...IT DOES WORK. AT LEAST IT DID FOR ME. I CAN'T IMAGINE LATER MODELS NOT HAVING SIMILAR TORQUE VALUES AND PROCEDURES. GOOD LUCK!!!
My 03 manual says to tighten fork stem bolt until bearings have no noticeable shake. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN then adjust the fall away. Must be why I have to hold on to the bars with both hands on decel

Last edited by conroskie; 10-03-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by albertgiancarli

**THE STEERING HEAD BOLT SHOULD BE TORQUED 70-80 FOOT POUNDS...THEN ADJUST FALL AWAY BY THE BOOK.
Are you crazy! Your fall away would be ZERO!

On another response some guy said he pumped in 130 squeezes on the grease gun. He will now have 130 squeezes of grease blowing back on his motor on the first hot day. Don't overtighten and don't over grease! A pump or two is fine...sheesh.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:25 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by plane

On another response some guy said he pumped in 130 squeezes on the grease gun. He will now have 130 squeezes of grease blowing back on his motor on the first hot day. Don't overtighten and don't over grease! A pump or two is fine...sheesh.

If the neck has been serviced and is full of grease I agree with U,
BUT, That 130 pumps maybe a 1/2 cup is what it took to get ANY grease to come out of the bearings. there is not a big blob of excess grease waiting to fall off..

In order to get grease into the races U have to use enough to fill the neck full so the grease can be forced through the bearing races and the only way to know that has happened is when a little comes out of the bearings.
The manual even says to do that.

If the neck is void or not full of grease and U only use a pump or two, then U'll never get grease to the bearing ..because U'll never fill the neck to put pressure against the bearings.

My point was I am not sure the Wrenches have been greasing it or if it was ever greased when it was in for the services..because it took so much.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:36 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure, but I think that they are talking about torquing the stem bolt down then loosening and adjusting the fall away. I had to do this to mine. I adjusted mine three times in 1500 miles. I would adjust it and ride and it would be loose again in a couple hundred miles. The last time I did it I cranked it down fairly tight (maybe 30-40 ft lbs) then loosened and set my fall away. 2000 miles on the last adjustment and still just right. As far as filling the neck with grease, I don't know about that. Seems like it might seep out the bottom until the end of time.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

on past post if its done correct others also say it will seep a little for a few miles.
Mine did it only when new. thats why I am not sure its been greased since she was new by the dealers wrenches at service time.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:47 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

[quote=conroskie;5672450]
Originally Posted by WFA

My 03 manual says to tighten fork stem bolt until bearings have no noticeable shake. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN then adjust the fall away. Must be why I have to hold on to the bars with both hands on decel
I get the same shake, I know the bearings are loose but I just haven't taken the time to fix it.

Originally Posted by plane

No joke! On the Fat Boy front end I have that would be a death ride. That is correct for the Dyna's where there is an adjusting nut for the bearing pre-load under the top tree. You adjust the pre-load then you torque the nut that holds the top tree to the 70-80 lbs.

Last edited by ackman1968; 02-14-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
If the neck has been serviced and is full of grease I agree with U,
BUT, That 130 pumps maybe a 1/2 cup is what it took to get ANY grease to come out of the bearings. there is not a big blob of excess grease waiting to fall off..

In order to get grease into the races U have to use enough to fill the neck full so the grease can be forced through the bearing races and the only way to know that has happened is when a little comes out of the bearings.
The manual even says to do that.

If the neck is void or not full of grease and U only use a pump or two, then U'll never get grease to the bearing ..because U'll never fill the neck to put pressure against the bearings.

My point was I am not sure the Wrenches have been greasing it or if it was ever greased when it was in for the services..because it took so much.
You are absolutely 100% correct.

And yes, you get a little grease seepage, BFD. It cleans off.

I would much rather wipe a little grease once in a while than die because my bearings are shot and the steering fails.

But I RIDE mine, it gets dirty, and sometimes it don't get cleaned for a while.

If you're riding with a shimmy or shake on decel, your bearings are loose, and dangerous. adjust them up. As I mentioned previous, 120 in-lbs should do it, if not, I would go as far as 144 in-lbs... That's 10-12 ft-lbs for those of you that are mathematically challenged. DO NOT use a big tq wrench for this task, you should not use the bottom 20% of the range on your wrench, they are not designed to be used that low, and are not accurate. Buy a smaller tq wrench, so that you are in the middle of the range.

If you are riding and at speed find yourself having to make steering adjustments, chances are you're bearings are too tight. a 2 wheeler should run straight down the road with no help, if everything is adjusted correctly.

Be safe, Y'all!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:33 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I remember reading that service bulletin awhile back and from what I recall it did not mention FL models. I searched for it again and found this. No mention of tq specs but certainly is addressing the clunk issue and no mention of FL models. Some one smarter than me needs to find the actual bulletin that mentions FL models and 70 lb's of tq and post for us.

================================================== =================

SERVICE BULLETIN M-1215[/b] January 3, 2008
STEERING STEM NUT/WASHER[/b]
Purpose[/b]
This service bulletin is to inform dealers of updated parts and service procedures to eliminate loss of clamp load on upper steering stem nut. Normal warranty applies for service performed.
Motorcycles Affected
[/b]• 2006-2007 Dyna models
• 2008 and earlier FXDWG
• 2008 and earlier FX Softail models
• 2008 and earlier VRSC models
Required Dealer Action
[/b]If customer is experiencing any of the following conditions, perform the service procedure for the appropriate model as explained below.
• Looseness in front end
• Loss of clamp load on upper steering stem nut
• Front end clunk
Dyna and FX Softail Models[/b]
See list of affected motorcycles above. If any of the affected Dyna or FX Softail motorcycles are experiencing front end looseness, order kit number 45727-07. See STEERING HEAD WASHER KIT INSTRUCTION SHEET (-J04469) to install the kit.
VRSC Models with Aluminum Stem[/b]
2007 and earlier VRSC models were shipped from the factory with aluminum stems. If the lower triple tree was subsequently replaced on these vehicles, check the service records to determine if the new lower triple tree included any of the following steel stems:
• 46771-02A
• 46860-06A
• 46752-01A
• 46788-06A
• 46781-06A
NOTE[/b]
All 2008 VRSC models have a lower triple tree assembly with a steel stem.
For VRSC model motorcycles with an aluminum stem experiencing looseness in the front end, order kit number 45736-07. See STEERING STEM NUT KIT INSTRUCTION SHEET (-J04468) to install the kit.
VRSC Models with Steel Stem[/b]
For 2008 VRSC models (and any earlier VRSC models with a steel stem) with front end looseness, refer to the 2008 VRSC MODELS PARTS CATALOG for service parts, and see 2.34 STEERING HEAD in the 2008 VRSC MODELS SERVICE MANUAL for service instructions. VRSC models under normal warranty should utilize labor
code 2290 for 0.4 hour.
IMPORTANT NOTE[/b]
In the interest of preserving customer safety and satisfaction, always check for outstanding recalls whenever any motorcycle is brought into your
dealership for either maintenance or service.
©2008 H-D

Last edited by KumaRide; 10-04-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Neck Bearing Adjustment 08 Fat Boy