Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neck Bearing Adjustment 08 Fat Boy

Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 AM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kumaride
i remember reading that service bulletin awhile back and from what i recall it did not mention fl models. I searched for it again and found this. No mention of tq specs but certainly is addressing the clunk issue and no mention of fl models. Some one smarter than me needs to find the actual bulletin that mentions fl models and 70 lb's of tq and post for us.

================================================== =================

service bulletin m-1215[/b] january 3, 2008
steering stem nut/washer[/b]
purpose[/b]
this service bulletin is to inform dealers of updated parts and service procedures to eliminate loss of clamp load on upper steering stem nut. Normal warranty applies for service performed.
Motorcycles affected
[/b]• 2006-2007 dyna models
• 2008 and earlier fxdwg
• 2008 and earlier fx softail models
• 2008 and earlier vrsc models
required dealer action
[/b]if customer is experiencing any of the following conditions, perform the service procedure for the appropriate model as explained below.
• looseness in front end
• loss of clamp load on upper steering stem nut
• front end clunk
dyna and fx softail models[/b]
see list of affected motorcycles above. If any of the affected dyna or fx softail motorcycles are experiencing front end looseness, order kit number 45727-07. See steering head washer kit instruction sheet (-j04469) to install the kit.
Vrsc models with aluminum stem[/b]
2007 and earlier vrsc models were shipped from the factory with aluminum stems. If the lower triple tree was subsequently replaced on these vehicles, check the service records to determine if the new lower triple tree included any of the following steel stems:
• 46771-02a
• 46860-06a
• 46752-01a
• 46788-06a
• 46781-06a
note[/b]
all 2008 vrsc models have a lower triple tree assembly with a steel stem.
For vrsc model motorcycles with an aluminum stem experiencing looseness in the front end, order kit number 45736-07. See steering stem nut kit instruction sheet (-j04468) to install the kit.
Vrsc models with steel stem[/b]
for 2008 vrsc models (and any earlier vrsc models with a steel stem) with front end looseness, refer to the 2008 vrsc models parts catalog for service parts, and see 2.34 steering head in the 2008 vrsc models service manual for service instructions. Vrsc models under normal warranty should utilize labor
code 2290 for 0.4 hour.
Important note[/b]
in the interest of preserving customer safety and satisfaction, always check for outstanding recalls whenever any motorcycle is brought into your
dealership for either maintenance or service.
â©2008 h-d

**Thanks Kuma! I looked for my cc of the service bulletin m-1215 but could not find it. However, my previous comments were taken specifically from the instruction sheet #j04469 that came with the kit as mentioned in the bulletin. I didn't write the instructions...only relayed what I read. By the way, those instructions do not mention the FL models as someone suggested. MY BAD!!

Last edited by WFA; 10-04-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You are absolutely 100% correct.

And yes, you get a little grease seepage, BFD. It cleans off.

I would much rather wipe a little grease once in a while than die because my bearings are shot and the steering fails.

But I RIDE mine, it gets dirty, and sometimes it don't get cleaned for a while.

If you're riding with a shimmy or shake on decel, your bearings are loose, and dangerous. adjust them up. As I mentioned previous, 120 in-lbs should do it, if not, I would go as far as 144 in-lbs... That's 10-12 ft-lbs for those of you that are mathematically challenged. DO NOT use a big tq wrench for this task, you should not use the bottom 20% of the range on your wrench, they are not designed to be used that low, and are not accurate. Buy a smaller tq wrench, so that you are in the middle of the range.

If you are riding and at speed find yourself having to make steering adjustments, chances are you're bearings are too tight. a 2 wheeler should run straight down the road with no help, if everything is adjusted correctly.

Be safe, Y'all!

'
Thank U safety man.

I was a machine repairman for 38 yrs and I'll put my experience up against bout anyone..
I have installed, rebuild, overhauled; pillow block, flange, cup, roller, type units that have ball, needle, roller, tapered, and thrust type bearings in machines, transfers . differentials, gears reducers, gear boxes, CV joints, universal joints EYTC> ETC> in doing my job..

So I am not a green horn in the care and lubrication of bearings...

Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey oct1949. Have you used "LUCAS RED STICKY #2". Been using it about a year in my steering head and so far it has stayed in place. On rare occasion i'll get a tad oozing out but one swipe with a paper towel cleans it up pronto. Never a blow-back.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:16 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

You guys read my mind! Whats a good grease that wont drip. It gets over 105 degrees here in the summer...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie D
I had to take the 2010 Lo-boy back to the dealer after only 400 miles of riding to have them adjust mine. It developed a 'Clunk' and so they fixed it right away. The Tech. said it was very loose. What does that tell ya about the MoCo assembly process ? I have been checking it over pretty good since.

WD
I had the same problem on my wife's 09 Deluxe. Only had 100 miles on it. Took it in to the dealer and they said the fall away was within spec's. I told them the clunk noise was not within spec's. They tightened up the steering head and I was on my way with no more clunk.....

Trucky911

Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by WFA
Hey oct1949. Have you used "LUCAS RED STICKY #2". Been using it about a year in my steering head and so far it has stayed in place. On rare occasion i'll get a tad oozing out but one swipe with a paper towel cleans it up pronto. Never a blow-back.
No I haven't; been retired 3yrs, so theres probably new stuff now, even yrs ago we used high temp grease in some applications, syn in others, gear lube and then reg oils depending on what was needed or where it was used

Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When I greased my stearing head it took almost a full tupe (the mini tubes). I have gotten a bit of blow back, but very little. As far as I'm concerned, I'll pump grease until it comes out the frame neck. A little paper towel clean up and your done. At least I know my steering head bearing are greased. By the way, the grease i used drips ALOT less than the stuff from the factory. I just tightend my steering head nut, didn't do the fall away test, but haven't noticed any pull either way going down road, and no clunk either so I'm just going to ride it.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[quote=SafetyMan;5673983DO NOT use a big tq wrench for this task, you should not use the bottom 20% of the range on your wrench, they are not designed to be used that low, and are not accurate. Buy a smaller tq wrench, so that you are in the middle of the range.[/quote]

Personally I think its crap to tell people that a tool does not do well at the top or bottom of its range. Its rated for that and has to go through rigorous testing to prove it. You don't need to go out and buy another torque wrench because 12ft/lbs is at the top or bottom of it's "certified" range.

On a good note, I do need to adjust my fall away and this post helps. the HD manual doesn't say a specific torque for my FLSTF but it just says "turn it a little to the...." Decent torque values can be useful for folks without a manual.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clunks and grease chronicals:
Mine clunked before and after the 1000mi service. Evidently HD did not adjust it like they were supposed to. Had to take it back and spell it out for them. Has been good ever since (now at 12k). I have also done all my wrenching since the 1k service. I greased mine at 10k and it took quite a bit before I saw any come out the bearing area. Bearing adjustment seemed ok per the silly procedure. 110 degrees here and no drips of grease to be seen.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just greased both the bikes (08 & 09) the other day and honestly I don't think that either bike was touched with a grease gun during services as both took almost a tube to fill the steering head.

Also as pointed out there has to be grease coming out of the races to be sure the bearings are greased, come on why would any1 disagree with that??
I use white lithium grease.

Colin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Neck Bearing Adjustment 08 Fat Boy