Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Xbonz handelbar issues HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM
scottiedawg
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 08 Xbonz handelbar issues HELP

I am soooo frustrated with my stealership. I have had my bike in to have the bars tightened, replace the riser bolts and the risers. The damn handelbars still loosen. Now, its happening again. When I talk with them, they treat me like I'm the only one who has had these issues???? You gotta be kiddin me, I know I've read some fixes, but I think the dealership should take care of this. It's still under warranty, but I want them to do something different. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.....

Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 08 is rock solid, what are they telling you is the problem?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Blue Cross Bones
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine were a bit on the loosie side but I tighten up the four bolts and now it's fine.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cry BS. It happened to me also; the bars dropped 8" when I went over RR tracks. They tightened them because I happened to be on my way to the dealers for the 1,000 mile, what ever. I asked them if they provided new shorts to replace my soiled one.
Coyote

Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
millerka33
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10,000 miles on my 08 and never a slip. But I am now doing a bar and riser swap, so i hope i dont create problems.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
rowdy82
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know its not something the dealer will do but you can put helicoils in your risers. You can tighten them down alot more this way. Did this to mine because my new bars aren't knurled. Be carefull the stock risers strip real easily

Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue on mine....
torqued the riser bolts to spec... still had the issue...
over torqued...and then striped some threads .... helicoils...
then I got rid of the stock risers and bars...

CC

Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 PM
dare8601
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem...I tightened and they still come loose...I did notice a couple of points tho...I replaced my seat *badlander* and noticed that I sat lower..this made me pull the bars towards me when hitting bumps the bars would pull back...I then put my stock seat back on and no more problems..so far that is...but when I brought the bike home the dealer when new they did not have the bars tightened all the way and that was a interesting ride home..I have spoken to a couple of guys with the same bike and it is a yes/no on the bars that loosen... I was told to cut a strip of allum. from a soda can and put in the risers and tighten them. supposed to help grip and shouldn't have no more problems with them coming loose again....have not done this yet..

Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master

09 no real problems either..you pushing your bike around alot that will do it..with the stock xbones seat i found that when i excellerated i would slide off the back of the seat and would pull hard on the bars i expected them to move and they did slightly tightened them up no problems since i alsi switched the seat for the 1925 style seat and no more sliding off

Old 08-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Blue Cross Bones
Cruiser

I also replaced the stock seat with the badlander but after I tighten the 4 bolts no problem. That badlander seat is very comfy.

Quick Reply: 08 Xbonz handelbar issues HELP