Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes with Full Face = Headache!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Buellrunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Pipes with Full Face = Headache!

Guys,

Its getting pretty cold here in Toronto - decided to do a ride day (500km) on my Heritage (Porker Jackknives on her)....using a full face lid and my windsheild to help lkeep warm on the Hwy....

Anyway - even with my plugs in my ears its gets tiring after the 1st hour...ITS TOO LOUD! I never noticed when I had my half lid on during the summer..

Anyway - Anyone running a nice quiet system that wont kill performance on their Heritage? Anyone happy with the stock system? I have an 06 - I was told that the stock exhaust systems got "nicer sounding" as of last year?

I need to quiet the bike down or I wont enjoy my late season long rides....

Old 10-10-2009, 11:41 PM
fastkevin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it more annoying with a full face helmet on? Is the noise getting inside your helmet and reverberating around or something? If so, it might be the helmet has a crap ear box, or is too big.
I've never experienced that before, and have always worn Shoei's or Arai's(both have really good ear boxes), and like you...ear plugs.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:26 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default too loud

How about a D&D Fatcat? They are quieter than Vance and Hines BBS that I used to run and have better performance too. Just my 2 cents

Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 AM
soph9
Advanced

I ride with a full face all year long...you have to keep the shield cracked open if you are riding with a shield on your bike....this lessens the pipe noise. Or of course you could change your pipes..I have Screamin Eagles on my FB and they have a nice tone that is not piercing to the ears even without ear plugs...just a thought.

Keep the full face shield cracked open and try that first...

Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 AM
SmithbSTC
6th Gear

I am perfectly happy with the stock exhaust on my 09 Heritage. I had Screamin' Eagles on my 07 1200R, and after an hour, my hearing was diminished slightly for about a half hour. I always wear a full face helmet, and have noticed it does very little to reduce the noise.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Buellrunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will an 09 exhaust bolt right into my 06?

I heard that Harley worked hard on making the stock system sound much
nicer than they used too. Anyone know anything about this?

Ideally What I would like to do is find a used stock exhaust system off a twincam 88 Heritage Springer - or just the heritage springer header pipe system.
Where would be the best place to locate a stock heritage springer system?
Can't seem to find one in the classifieds...anyone around here have one sitting in their garage collecting dust???

Cheers,

Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
True Grit
Cruiser

Im in toronto and have an 09 heritage with stock pipes. I have thought about changing mine but truth be told i am content with them.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 AM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I feel your pain..
I got V&H Shortshots (see sig) w/baffles and around town I liked the sound.. But now I'm doing more traveling... and my last trip traveling 400 miles a day at 80 mph just did me in.. the loud droning gave me a head ache..
I am looking to wrap the baffles or switch to some Long shots to move
the sound further back behind me..

Last edited by agapsdiver; 10-11-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 AM
soph9
Advanced

any reason you guys stay away from the Screamin" Eagle slip ons? Like I said good tone but not piercing...I wear ear plugs almost all the time just to protect myself from wind noise and of course the pipes...but my slip ons are not that bad...and I even got a nice compliment after attending an HD tech night at my dealer that my bike sounded really nice...this was from a Street Glide dude....

Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
I feel your pain..
I got V&H Shortshots (see sig) w/baffles and around town I liked the sound.. But now I'm doing more traveling... and my last trip traveling 400 miles a day at 80 mph just did me in.. the loud droning gave me a head ache..
I am looking to wrap the baffles or switch to some Long shots to move
the sound further back behind me..
don;t let all them young wipper snappers see this one.... lots of post want LOUDER pipes.....take them baffles outta them short pipes.... Yep puts the noise right in ur ear....

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes with Full Face = Headache!