Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Caliper Removal? - 08 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brake Caliper Removal? - 08 Fatboy

I want to pull mine to clean the pistons but the BSS pipes do not allow enough clearance for my torx socket. I am guessing a T40 torx bit might work with a wrench. There are some crappy torx wrenches out there but I am reluctant to bother with that. I am guessing this is a common problem. What has worked for you or can this be done without removing it? Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:59 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used just lhe torx bit and a wrench

Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you HAVE to pull the wheel off? I'm looking at replacing the brake pads on my Custom and was looking at it and I'm not sure there's enough room to get the caliper out without removing the wheel.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Cool

Did not have to pull rear wheel off on my 2008 Train to do the Lyndall pads, but it is real tight clearance wise.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by citoriplus
do you have to pull the wheel off? I'm looking at replacing the brake pads on my custom and was looking at it and i'm not sure there's enough room to get the caliper out without removing the wheel.
Citoriplus...your bike does note require wheel to be removed if all you are doing is replacing the shoes. "fatbillscustoms.com" has a very simple removal process detailed...demonstrated on an older fatboy but no significant difference. As a matter of fact it pretty much coincides directly with the shop manual. Check it out before proceeding!! Good luck!!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:35 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys.

I just went out and got the bike inspected about 20 minutes ago and as I suspected it 'really' needs a new rear tire (its very borderline now).
So I think I'm just going to wait until all this global warming starts falling as snow. Then I'll have plenty of time to put the Lyndell pads in while the wheel is off the bike for the tire replacement, and maybe chromed.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:51 PM
azfathog17
Cruiser

Some folks here say you do not have to remove the caliper if you are just replacing the pads. I want to pull mine to clean the pistons and hopefully reduce the brake drag. It is not that bad but it is enough to generate some heat. I will post some results when I complete the procedure.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:02 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by azfathog17
Some folks here say you do not have to remove the caliper if you are just replacing the pads. I want to pull mine to clean the pistons and hopefully reduce the brake drag. It is not that bad but it is enough to generate some heat. I will post some results when I complete the procedure.
Cleaning the brake pistons is a wise idea.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:26 PM
slartabartfast
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found to remove the rear pads and or caliper on my 2008 Fatboy without buggering up my wheel I had to first remove the top caliper mounting bolt and loosen the lower bolt so I could rotate the caliper enough to have access to the pad retaining bolt.
Remove the pads, then the lower mounting bolt and you can then remove the caliper.
You need to remove the pads to get clearance for the caliper without scratching up the wheel.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 AM
eagle56
Road Captain

The caliper with some careful maneuvering will come out through the frame buts its a close fit I'v done it twice now.

I would suggest some tape on the frame as i have scratched mine getting it out

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Caliper Removal? - 08 Fatboy