Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 02:39 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 80 Posts

Yeah, just out of idle interest I'd like to know what my Slim's capable of

I've never taken it over about 80 and probably never will - that was hard work

I have a BMW 1200RT that I've had up to 130, just to see if it could and I reckon it had more to give. That's felt easier and more comfy than 80 on the Slim, so obviously it's horses for courses.

I've never been a speed junkie. Just interested to know.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jackafrica
Luke, I'm seriously impressed with your 103.
168mph, wow.

A quick and dirty calculation for 168mph on a 2012 6 speed is 6200rpm in 6th gear.
With 12" apes... man that's fast.

Gotta get me a 103, my 117 is way slower than that.

Let's keep this 11yo thread rockin'.
Maybe he's got one of them salt flats streamliner bodies strapped to it.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:21 AM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hit 110 on my 2004 Fatboy. Felt like there was more there but not comfortable.
If I was concerned about top speeds I wouldn't be riding a Fatboy.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Ed McLellan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 stage 1 = 113 mph

Old 09-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Luke Langlois
I wish we had more speed demons adding to this conversation. I feel a little out of place, lol.
Indeed, you are out of place, if you're claiming that your stage two 103 with a poorly performing set of pipes makes about 140+ horsepower.

Here's a handy article about the world's fastest production motorcycles throughout history, which gives an idea of how much horsepower it takes to go a certain speed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_motorcycles

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-11-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

I owned the '05 special edition FB, '95ci. They are made for torque, not top end.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Your right, I am wrong. You know so much about bikes that you have to look up aricales online written about stocck bikes. I won't be replying to this thread any more. You gents have a great day.
That's why he's called himself warp factor...lmfao

Old 09-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

My RPM's start bouncing at 6700, I thought that was normal for a staged Harley, but I guess not. I am highly impressed with it. Like I said with the apes, it's nuts, to be more specific, it's a bag of batshit crazy at anything over 115. the shaking and wind turbulence on the tall bars is intense, after what appears to be around 140ish (raced an S.S. Camaro he told me his speed, and made him look stupid by the way), there is a minor speed wobble that is bearable, but as I stated before, a steering dampener would help tremindoulsy. I also, tuck in, I put my chest on the gas tank, put my feet on the back pegs, and shift the foot shifter with my left hand. No clutch required, if you time your RPMs right. As far as the 117, man, you may want to have that checked out, as you should be eating my heavy *** fatboy up. 800lbs before adding me and I am about 200-210 lbs, so the combined weight is 1000 plus lbs. no windshield, no bags,no sissy bar, and no passenger seat, until the wife wants to ride. Once that stuff is added plus the wife, I am lucky to get over 120, but some how it does it. She likes speed too, but only sometimes. To talk about the slimline, I have/had a buddy that has a slimline-blackline, his is a smaller motor, I think it is the 98ci, but not 100%. I just know that it's not a 103, he can keep up till about 125, then I ripped away. I ride with two guys currently. One has a 94 springer, no contest, and the other rides a 95 lowrider, and again no contest.

I have been on the jap-rockets most of my life. before I purchased the fatboy, I had a 14 v-rod muscle, top speed was 147, but it was a ballistic missle to top speed, the only down fall, the 5 speed transmission. At top speed, just no RPM's left. Please, don't take offense to this, but you guys are all making me feel very good about my bike, due to the performance. I was thinking of trading for a 117 fatboy, but after talking with y'all, I am more inclined to keep it.
This is my baby ya'll. Sorry it took so long to get a pic posted.
Softails have the rev-limiter set to 6200 rpm due to the balancers.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your lies.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:08 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 80 Posts

You were doing 140mph+ on a Harley with apes and took your hand off the handlebars to change gear by hand.

Did I read that correctly?

Regardless, please don't go trying to film it. I'd hate to think this thread was in any way responsible for pushing someone to kill themselves in the pursuit of proof of speed just prove others wrong.

Last edited by stinkerbill; 09-12-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:18 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Your right, I am wrong. You know so much about bikes that you have to look up aricales online written about stocck bikes.
I thought I'd actually provide a reference to how much power it takes to achieve certain speeds on motorcycles, rather than just BS-ing as you do.

How's this, I will bust out the GoPro cams, make a video and post the YouTube link in this thread. Please allow me a week or so, to get gas money, film the run, and post it.
Excellent. Please borrow a GPS, and include the speed display in the in the camera view.
A tip for ya: I bet you could go even faster if you shaved your legs.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-12-2016 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy top speed?