Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Windshield For My Deuce & Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Brian_D
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Windshield For My Deuce & Need Opinions

I'm going to buy a windshield for my deuce (2000 STD). I currently have the HD detachable compact windshield (15" above headlight) and it shakes my eyeballs when I ride with it. I currently have it off, just couldn't take it anymore. I've taken my hand and put it at the top of the windshield and it takes away the shaking eyeballs, so I'm quite certain the problem is the windshield is not tall enough. So here's the question that I'd appreciate some opinions on:

A) Should I go with the new HD Quick Detach windshield (leaves no docking hardware on the bike)? Windshield dimensions: Overall height 26.3"; width 19.5". http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

B) Should I go with an aftermarket windshield? I've been checking out Memphis Shades - Memphis Fats Windshields, 21" over the headlight. This one appears to be significantly taller. http://www.shopmotorcycleonlinestore...Id=1570#454774

The whole point of the windshield is for winter riding, nice days the windshield would come off. I'm pretty sure the Memphis Fats 21" windshield will be more than tall enough, but my preference is to stay all HD (better quality IMO than aftermarket). I just don't want to run into the same problem with the HD windshield. I appreciate all opinions. TIA.

Brian.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Memphis shades is a nice after market alternative. They have quick release and look nice. They have an array of styles/models. Easy install.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm not much of a windshield fan, but use them sometimes on long runs during the summer months when the bugs are thick, and sometimes during the colder winter months.

I really like the new quick detachable system that replaces the older setup involving the semi-permanent installation of rubber bushings and hairpin type springs which held the shield in place and offered detachability.

The new system uses four die cast steel clamps which have a camming over-center action that securely locks the shield onto the fork tubes between the triple clamps, and is absolutely rock solid.

When the windshield is removed (which only takes about 10 seconds) there is no 'mounting hardware' left behind on the bike...

Well worth the extra money in my opinion....

Here is a not so good picture of the newer cam-clamp system;

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Brian_D
Advanced

Oldfenderguy, so does the windshield you have give you any buffeting problems? (shaking eyes). Also does it direct the wind completely over you?

Thanks,
Brian.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian_D
Oldfenderguy, so does the windshield you have give you any buffeting problems? (shaking eyes). Also does it direct the wind completely over you?

Thanks,
Brian.

I have a compact quick disconnect windshield on both my 2003 FatBoy and my 2003 WideGlide, and I don't get a lot of buffering from either of them.

I'd have to measure the exact size of each, but I prefer to look 'open' the windshield instead of looking 'through' it, and on both of mine when seated normal my line of sight is about 1" over the top.

On both the wind is deflected just over my head, so I don't get the blast on either my chest or face. The buffeting is not a major problem, in fact I don't wear a helmet, only sunglasses, and it's not bad enough to bother my vision in the least. But I've found that most of the buffeting comes from under the windshield and up the sides of the fuel tank. If you keep your knees close to the tank it will block most of that air flow before it gets to your body/head.

From the below pictures you can see that I still have the older style quick disconnect mount on the FatBoy (unlike the cam-clamp setup on the WideGlide), but it will be changed over this winter.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Personally, i think, just because something is aftermarket doesnt mean its less than OEM. Ive had some things genuine HD that were absolute junk and aftermarket replacements that were 10X better...Take the bigger shield. Just my .02

Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm looking at this one for my Deuce, it would be for just trips on the hwy and cold weather and would come off any other time. danktat has one and had given it some good reviews...cant beat the price...$50.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Duecesx2
Cruiser

Get A HELMET with a windshield because they just don't belong on a Deuce.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Brian_D
Advanced
Default ***Update ***

Decided to update ya'll with my recent purchase. I ended up going with the HD Quick-Detach windshield with the "cam-clamps". It cost ~ $450 bones. I got the clear windshield. It measures's 19.5" over the headlight, and I don't get any buffetting until ~ 60 mph, and even then it's not that bad. Certainly much better than what I had with my compact 15" over the headlight windshield. Below are the pics of it (camera phone). It's certainly a quality piece, albeit expensive. Assembly took 20 mins tops and removal takes 10 seconds maybe with no hardware left. Thanks for all the input guys.

Attached Thumbnails Buying a Windshield For My Deuce & Need Opinions-30-11-09_0826.jpg   Buying a Windshield For My Deuce & Need Opinions-30-11-09_0827.jpg   Buying a Windshield For My Deuce & Need Opinions-30-11-09_0828.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM
btencate
6th Gear

I have had Memphis shades two of my bikes. on my 06 nighttrain I had the sport shade and loved it. It was solid and never moved and I could take it off in less than 10 seconds. I love it so much that I put the Memphis shades fats on my 2010 Fatboy lo. Its much wider than the sport but it blocks twice the amout of air. Very happy with both shields though.

Quick Reply: Buying a Windshield For My Deuce & Need Opinions