Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide Custom vs Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 AM
doctorgoo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. I definitely would like to go for a test ride. Every time I've visited my local dealer, the guys tell me I can sit on anything I'd like to. No one has ever offered me a test ride. Is that generally something I have to specifically request? The only bike I've owned was purchased from a private party. When I've visited car dealerships, one of the first things they do is offer a test drive. The fact that I was not offered a test ride on any of the bikes I checked out lead me to assume that motorcycle dealers (or more specifically Harley dealers) must not offer test rides. Do I simply ask for one?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Maimas
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorgoo
Thanks everyone for your input. I definitely would like to go for a test ride. Every time I've visited my local dealer, the guys tell me I can sit on anything I'd like to. No one has ever offered me a test ride. Is that generally something I have to specifically request? The only bike I've owned was purchased from a private party. When I've visited car dealerships, one of the first things they do is offer a test drive. The fact that I was not offered a test ride on any of the bikes I checked out lead me to assume that motorcycle dealers (or more specifically Harley dealers) must not offer test rides. Do I simply ask for one?

Yes... ask. Or at least go to more than 1 dealer. Most dealers have demo days, but I would think any dealer would allow a test ride. They want to sell you a bike.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

They are the same (Harleys) but very different...almost the same size and weight but once you mount up the view and feel is very different and once the clutch is out the bikes get even more contrasting. Ride both, even if you have to rent, for an extended time. I was on a Sporty, went to a Sporty Custom, then to a Dyna anmd finally a Deuce after riding a Fatboy for 3 days I was sold on the ride/ feel of the Softail family. WE aren't much help in YOUR pick. Asking which is better for you is similar to asking what your favorite color should be.

Ride them. John

Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 AM
RCB
Road Warrior

If unable to test ride another option would be rent one for a day or two and then the other if available in your area.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 AM
doctorgoo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by flibuoy
They are the same (Harleys) but very different...almost the same size and weight but once you mount up the view and feel is very different and once the clutch is out the bikes get even more contrasting. Ride both, even if you have to rent, for an extended time. I was on a Sporty, went to a Sporty Custom, then to a Dyna anmd finally a Deuce after riding a Fatboy for 3 days I was sold on the ride/ feel of the Softail family. WE aren't much help in YOUR pick. Asking which is better for you is similar to asking what your favorite color should be.

Ride them. John
I didn't ask which is better for me. I asked if anyone could share with me the pro/cons of their experience with each.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member

Sorry you did not find my answer helpful. I'll try again...they are both Harleys...ride them both.
There aren't any pros/cons except as opinion. Same technology for better or worse. Same reliability for better or worse, same colors, same material, same dealers. Ride them both. Lighten up a little too. John

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (10-15-2021)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Smile

My bad again! There are some color combinations for Fatboy not available in Dyna line. John

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM
doctorgoo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by flibuoy
Sorry you did not find my answer helpful. I'll try again...they are both Harleys...ride them both.
There aren't any pros/cons except as opinion. Same technology for better or worse. Same reliability for better or worse, same colors, same material, same dealers. Ride them both. Lighten up a little too. John
I think I may have taken what you were saying the wrong way. Sorry

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (10-15-2021)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that in the end no matter how many riders reply the opinions will boil down to what I've seen so far:

Dyna: more nimble, lighter, a bit quicker.
Fat Boy: heavier, a smoother more solid ride, a bit more roomy.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

What it most boils down to is what feels most comfortable for you... we can give you opinions and pros and cons, but you will have to make the final decision...

Something I like, you might hate.

Quick Reply: Super Glide Custom vs Fatboy