Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 night train ,clutch issue ..help please !

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM
stevemaman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 night train ,clutch issue ..help please !

hi there . i just spent 650$ today on getting my clutch done...was expensive.

the other clutch was bad along with the pressure plate and what they called the cage...

everything in there is new.
the clutch draggs a little even when hot...even when i pull the lever,all the way, it still feels like it wants to move...if i am rolling ,clutch in, the bike just goes...doesnt slow down...

now, since it feels like the clutch is still a little bit engaged, i am getting the feeling all my gears are a little hard to go in..specially to find my neutral. neutral is very hard to get to...from 1st to neutral is impossible.

when i push up to go to neutral, it goes to 2nd...i have to tap it down to neutral.. put it goes to 1st with a clunk...sometimes can get it to go to neutral.

i am willing to pay for some good help. it is a long weekend here and i want to use the bike !!!! i am very handy with tools and all.... but i am a bit lost here.

i have to fix it asap myself...

any advice ?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts
Default Clutch

This is such a big subject and almost impossible to relate with your problem since some problems may be you and some may be mechanical themselves but I will try. 1:Get a Harley service manual and read the maintenance and clutch section. 2. Make sure there is 1/16-3/32 play in the clutch cable. 3:Make sure they did not put too much fluid in there. 4:After reading the above and only after reading the above be sure clutch is adjusted behind the derby cover when you check the fluid. 5:You will need a new derby gasket. 6:If the bearings for the shift rod are not the loose original Harley type make sure they are free. I have seen after market pretty shift rods with the spherical bearings that are too tight. They cause the shift like into neutral difficult because they are two stiff. Get to 6 and let me know what going on.

Just out of curiosity how many miles on bike. Harley clutches are tough as nails. What happen to yours

Old 06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You will have to adjust your clutch. Sounds like it doesn't disengage properly.

Here is a link to a little movie on how to do it.
http://www.ehow.com/video_2330184_ad...utch-pack.html

They also have a clip on how to adjust your cable.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2330185_ad...tch-cable.html

You will probably get away with re-using the gasket of the derby cover.

If I were you I do the cable adjustment first. Also do a search, plenty of posts on adjusting clutch/cable.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 AM
stevemaman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rakthi

If I were you I do the cable adjustment first. Also do a search, plenty of posts on adjusting clutch/cable.
thanks.

i have a perfect ajustment on the cable.
the clutch is ajusted just like in the video.

i still get the same thing. hard to get in gear and hard to get out , hard to find neutral.
if i move the gear lever by hand while holding the clutch, i feel as i push down, i feel gears grinding... like the shaft is still spinning ! so the clutch has no disengaged from it... that explains why it is hard to get in-out...

why is the shaft still spinning even though i am pulling the lever ?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 AM
stevemaman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grf000
This is such a big subject and almost impossible to relate with your problem since some problems may be you and some may be mechanical themselves but I will try. 1:Get a Harley service manual and read the maintenance and clutch section. 2. Make sure there is 1/16-3/32 play in the clutch cable. 3:Make sure they did not put too much fluid in there. 4:After reading the above and only after reading the above be sure clutch is adjusted behind the derby cover when you check the fluid. 5:You will need a new derby gasket. 6:If the bearings for the shift rod are not the loose original Harley type make sure they are free. I have seen after market pretty shift rods with the spherical bearings that are too tight. They cause the shift like into neutral difficult because they are two stiff. Get to 6 and let me know what going on.

Just out of curiosity how many miles on bike. Harley clutches are tough as nails. What happen to yours

30000 miles. he said the basket was damaged, and they threw in a new clutch as the same time.

my main issue like i just posted is the fact that when i push the gear lever down by hand from neutral to 1st ,pulling the clutch all the way in, i feel gears grinding....meaning the shaft is still spinning and partially engaged...

Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Pushing

When you engage 1st from neutral after it has warmed up a couple of minutes are you pushing the shift lever? You should be giving it a good stab. If you just push down the lever any normal Harley is going to carry on. In fact I have not seen a cold Harley that if it is cold and you leave it in 1st and just pull in the clutch and hit the starter you are going to get a good tug from the motor to the rear wheel.
Mine when I stab it into 1st gives a loud bang as compared to most Yamahas or sport bike I have worked on. However after it is in and with me holding the clutch in it does not actually pull the bike any after that first clunk slight jerk. Rolling up to a stop I always make sure I get to low. Going from low to neutral is easier then 2nd to neutral for me. Both take a slight learning skill. Its like a 10 speed bike as compared to the neutral in a car.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Great post

Originally Posted by Rakthi

Great post. I keep forgetting about the obivious first answer of watch the video. No way words can describe that. Thanks

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-01-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 AM
stevemaman
Intermediate

just tried ajusting the clutch with 1/2 turn back, and 1 turn back...then tighten the nut...reajust the slack...same thing... when i press the gear selector by foot fast, there is a jerk..hard to get to neutral.... by hand,same thing... i feel gears grinding...

did the video... all at that level is perfect. slack and clutch ajustment.

only issue is the fact that when i hit the selector, it goes into gear...but to come out is hard out of 1st..i have to pull with my foot pretty hard.
then, it goes to 2nd....hard to get neutrral.. all the rods are loose and nice...nithing sticky there.

even when i push with my foot down, i feel a gear grind... like partially still engaged...

Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 AM
stevemaman
Intermediate

OK....SOME GOOD NEWS .

i just did something and i dont know why i did it... but something worked !

i left it running for 10 min.

i went back to and put it into gear and the bike move frwd a little...when giving gas...

i put the brakes on,put it in 2nd gear, and rode the clutch a few seconds, a few times....to get it hot....

then, my gear selector is like butter again..! it goes into gear with a jerk,comes out like a honda and makes it into neutral from 1st or 2nd....

that only happened after i heated up the clutch by riding it a few times...

please explain ! what is going on in there....

Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default What you are doing

Great everything is going fine. I never shift with my hand. Hard to see were I am going like that. Think the warmed up and oil get between plates is what fixed it. Tomorrow or worse in a week of not running it will fill like yesterday unless now that you know its OK start it up, wait a minute in neutral unless you are in Northern Alaska , then wait two minutes, pull in the clutch and ,give it a second and hit the shifter hard and firm with you foot. Everything will go OK then. Always learn to shift from 1st to neutral. If you happen to be in 2nd kick it to first and then to neutral.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-01-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 06 night train ,clutch issue ..help please !