Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Lower?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Why Lower?

Hi,

Just wondering why so many folks lower their bikes.

I'm 6'3" / 230, when I get on my Softail it is automatically lowered enough for me. I've road a lowered bike and didn't notice any better handling, why would it handle better, and I managed to scrape the bottom going into a 7-11 parking lot. I can understand if you just like the way it looks but I've heard where the ride can suffer if lowered to much.

So, is it for shorter people, better handling, or just looks?

Thanks

Old 12-25-2009, 07:23 AM
dkyork
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug S
Hi,

Just wondering why so many folks lower their bikes.

I'm 6'3" / 230, when I get on my Softail it is automatically lowered enough for me. I've road a lowered bike and didn't notice any better handling, why would it handle better, and I managed to scrape the bottom going into a 7-11 parking lot. I can understand if you just like the way it looks but I've heard where the ride can suffer if lowered to much.

So, is it for shorter people, better handling, or just looks?

Thanks
My handling improved on my Night Train. I was able to maintain my trail easier through corners and of course the LOOKS. I added air ride though now and took out my 422s, so I can adjust for any situation. Only bad thing about lowering were bumpy highways going 70 or so. I'd launch my *** up off the seat and scare the **** out of myself sometimes and that wasn't cool. Also, banging up my lower back and tailbone was painful on longer trips.

regards,

Dale

Old 12-25-2009, 08:16 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

They Look Better when , Yur drinkin Beer and Look-in at-um

Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it because they are HEIGHT challenged.... LOL!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:33 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowering them is just cool. now i am 5'10" 185#, I dont need to lower it. I also wont bottom the frame out. if you were 6'3" and 185# i would still lower it for the looks, but since you are 230#, i would not lower it. Maybe think of getting a lift kit. 4 wheel parts might make one.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:35 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mostly cosmetics....same reason some of us lower our cars.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:00 AM
08Phatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beyond the "looks" factor, a lot of folks I've talked to that's lowered them did it to better handle the bike while stopped. In other words, it didn't matter so much how tall they were, but more about inseam length. Lowering the bike 1/2" or so allows them to better plant their feet squarely on the pavement at a stop or to initially stand it up.

My wife's Deluxe is lower than my Fat Boy from the factory. The Fat Boy is a perfect height for me and the Deluxe is a perfect height for her, where mine is TOO tall for her and her's is actually a bit low for me.

So yea, killer looks certainly drives it for a lot of folks, but the stability factor drives it for others.

Just my .02 worth...

Old 12-25-2009, 11:12 AM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowered properly the bike should ride just fine.

For myself, most everything I get is either going to be lowered or lifted, it's just how I like them. If you're happy with your bike being standard height, and it works for you, then that's what you should keep.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:48 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Function vs looks. I scrape already at stock height. I lowered it and scraped a little more often so I put it back to stock. For me it functions better at stock - Im 6"1, 190. It looks better lowered. But its their to ride, not stare at.

Ok, I call bs on me, it may get lowered again cause it looks better that way...

Old 12-25-2009, 11:52 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the quickest way for a height challenged rider (or one with a shorter inseam) to "lower" the bike - change the stock seat to one that's not as wide.

Quick Reply: Why Lower?