Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18" Meat, Rear Wheel that is

Old 01-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Rick101285
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" Meat, Rear Wheel that is

So I got the 18x5.5 rear DNA wheel all mocked up on the bike today. My bike is an 06 softail standard with the 200 rear tire. It looks like the bike is going to need a 3/4" pulley spacer, and a 3/4" axle spacer added to the stock axle spacer on the pulley side. The disc side looks like it will need no new spacers. The disc brackets actually sits right up against the swingarm and the only spacer is one in-between the disc bracket and the wheel hub. Using that stock spacer the disc side aligns perfectly. I checked the centering of the wheel and with that configuration it is dead center with the rear fender as a guide. Does a 3/4" pulley spacer seem to big? I ordered one from drag this afternoon and will be fitting it all together friday. The hub on the DNA wheels where the pulley mounts is only threaded 3/4" deep as in comparision to the stock hub which is threaded 1 1/2" deep. The 3/4" pulley spacer will also help compensate for this allowing me to use the harley spacer bolt kit without having to cut them shorter. I will keep you guys updated as I get it mounted.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 PM
dkyork
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rick101285
So I got the 18x5.5 rear DNA wheel all mocked up on the bike today. My bike is an 06 softail standard with the 200 rear tire. It looks like the bike is going to need a 3/4" pulley spacer, and a 3/4" axle spacer added to the stock axle spacer on the pulley side. The disc side looks like it will need no new spacers. The disc brackets actually sits right up against the swingarm and the only spacer is one in-between the disc bracket and the wheel hub. Using that stock spacer the disc side aligns perfectly. I checked the centering of the wheel and with that configuration it is dead center with the rear fender as a guide. Does a 3/4" pulley spacer seem to big? I ordered one from drag this afternoon and will be fitting it all together friday. The hub on the DNA wheels where the pulley mounts is only threaded 3/4" deep as in comparision to the stock hub which is threaded 1 1/2" deep. The 3/4" pulley spacer will also help compensate for this allowing me to use the harley spacer bolt kit without having to cut them shorter. I will keep you guys updated as I get it mounted.
Thanks for the writeup. Please take PICs and exact measurements of your spacers you use. I should be getting my replacement 18x5.5 DNA wheel in a week and then I can do a mock up as well and report back. I had to machine down my rotor side spacer to get the front DNA wheel to fit, but it's perfect now. I have an 07 NT, so I wonder if our measurements will be the same. I think so because I'm 3/4" in the rear and we both have 200s and I bet the same swingarm.

regards,

Dale

Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Rick101285
Tourer

Hey dkyork, I think you are correct. The 07's and 06's must have different swignarms because my 06 does not even have any axle spacers between the caliper bracket and the frame. I will keep you guys posted and will have some pics to follow.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

18" of meat is the only way to fly!!!

I'm not just a fanboi...I'm a member!!

I mocked mine up with PVC pipe.....Mines an old schoolie 05' so my spacer sizing wont match what you dudes are doing.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
DrawDown
Road Master

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
18" of meat is the only way to fly!!!

I'm not just a fanboi...I'm a member!!

I mocked mine up with PVC pipe.....Mines an old schoolie 05' so my spacer sizing wont match what you dudes are doing.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 AM
dkyork
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rick101285
Hey dkyork, I think you are correct. The 07's and 06's must have different swignarms because my 06 does not even have any axle spacers between the caliper bracket and the frame. I will keep you guys posted and will have some pics to follow.
I don't have an axle spacer between my caliper bracket and swingarm either, but I have an axle spacer on each side of the wheel. One real long one and a shorty. Oh well, guess I'll go do the coil relocation mod to kill some time while I wait for my rear wheel.

regards,

Dale

Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Rick101285
Tourer

I had a chance to do a little more mock up today. I ran to home depot and bought some 3/8" washers to use in between my pulley and wheel hub to recheck the measurment I needed for the pulley spacer. I used 9 washers on each bolt to serve as temporary spacer to check clearances. I installed them between the pulley and the wheel hub with stock hardware, the rotor, and the new 3/4" axle spacer on the pulley side. Socked it all up, installed it on the bike and rotated the tire to check for clearance. Perfect. Everything was spaced properly, no rubbing. Wheel was centered in the rear fender. Heres a tip, use a large steel square to check the alignment of the rear wheel. Allow the square to hit rim in two places, that way you know you are square with the wheel. Use the other side of the square to measure the distance from the edge of the rim to the fender lip. Brake also worked good. Now I just need to wait for my pulley spacer to come in tommarrow and I will fit it all up once more before I bring it to the dealer to have the tire mounted. Oh I figured myswell replace the the rotors with some nice polished ones while I was at it. Thoose are also on the way. I'll keep you guys updated and have some pics when I do the final mockup.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Rick101285
Tourer

Ok got everything together and fit. So the final verdict 3/4" pulley spacer and an additional 3/4" axle spacer on the pulley side of the axle to get the 18x5.5 rear DNA wheel to fit the 06 FXST. I am extremely pleased with the quality of this wheel and look of the bike. The tire is a 200/50/18 METZ. I am still waiting on my DNA polished rotors.Here's some pic's boys.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
fame2
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

bike looks great man. rear wheel makes a huge difference!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
dkyork
Tourer

Interesting, so the HUB was 1 1/2" off on the pulley side. thanks for the info. can you post a picture of the pulley spacer on the bike and closeups of the other spacer you added?

Thanks!

Dale

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 18" Meat, Rear Wheel that is