Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossbones Cable Length for 14" Apes??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 AM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossbones Cable Length for 14" Apes??

Decided to change out my RSD bars for some of those "14" Smart Gimps", can anyone help on control cable lengths? would be eternally grateful !!
Oh and i will be using 1.5inch RSD risers...

Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
CycleDrider
Road Master

You might be close to begin with? Otherwise try Hill Country Customs. You can buy everything from them. They are nice folks. I talked to them about swapping out my cables to black and they where very helpuful.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Pussboy
Cruiser

I cant wait to see how that turns out! I am thinking about those smart gimps too! Are you still running stock cables with your RSD'S?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

Cycledrider: HCC!!! sent them 3 emails not 1 reply, they used to be good, im hearing negative things now.

Pussboy: Had to have those smart gimps, will send you a pic when they are on,
yes i am running stock cables could nt go tall with them,they are at the limit

Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM
RNBONES
Road Master

Try the Magnum shielding website. They have good instructions on how to measure. The length on my bars was kinda weird so i just went off of stock length and did a little math and it came out spot on. Hope i helped out a little bit?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jump... I had a 68" clutch cable for my 14"... Depending on how wide the bars are I would say go either 68" to 70" on the clutch cable and what ever the differance from your stock clutch cable is add the to the trottle cables. This should bring you real close to what you need. Sorry I was in such a rush when I did mine I never measured the trottle cables... lol

Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get your tape out and figure it out on your own. Use magnums instructions, so you measure at the right spot. I have 14" midget gimps, I made the mistake of letting my HD order my cables with the configuration of my bars and stock risers. Cables came in and they were 4" longer than I wanted..Check and recheck then order.
They sent my cables back after I snapped and got the ones I needed. HD used the cable lengths off a crossbones on there floor sporting 16" wild 1's which are way wider and taller instead of using the measurements I gave them...Cut out the middle man and talk to magnum direct..

Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 PM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

Originally Posted by story808
Jump... I had a 68" clutch cable for my 14"... Depending on how wide the bars are I would say go either 68" to 70" on the clutch cable and what ever the differance from your stock clutch cable is add the to the trottle cables. This should bring you real close to what you need. Sorry I was in such a rush when I did mine I never measured the trottle cables... lol

Thanks story, that will do nicely!! by the way, great pics

Old 01-10-2010, 11:56 PM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

Originally Posted by Milty
Get your tape out and figure it out on your own. Use magnums instructions, so you measure at the right spot. I have 14" midget gimps, I made the mistake of letting my HD order my cables with the configuration of my bars and stock risers. Cables came in and they were 4" longer than I wanted..Check and recheck then order.
They sent my cables back after I snapped and got the ones I needed. HD used the cable lengths off a crossbones on there floor sporting 16" wild 1's which are way wider and taller instead of using the measurements I gave them...Cut out the middle man and talk to magnum direct..
Hey milty, thank you for the advice, last time i measured for myself i got it wrong and ended up with cables to long, im a bit hesitant to do the same, i will check out magnums website.