Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Green Cleaner-Degreaser

Old 07-19-2006, 06:45 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Simple Green Cleaner-Degreaser

This reply was copied from the thread "Not impressed with S100"

Hey Simple Green Users:

I bought Simple Green on recommendation but haven't used it yet on my FatBoy. I used Eagle 1 Spray Wheel Cleaning Products from PepBoys on my previous bike (ugh...Honda Ace) with cast aluminum jugs and steel lace wheels. Eagle 1 has various products depending on what your cleaning (alcohol-based for cast aluminum vs. mild acid-based for cleaning chrome and painted steel). I sprayed everything (wheels, motor, underneath bike), let it sit 45-60 seconds, and then hosed it off followed by a wet wash with mild soap so as not to strip off wax, rinsed and then leaf blower (best bike drying invention yet!!!).

I like using spray degreaser/cleaning products because they're effective and save time (rather ride than clean). However...I've heard that some of these products can pit cast aluminum/cast steel over time. The Simple Green link in an earlier post says mix it 30:1 (water:SG) for chrome and motorcyles. I figure the 30:1 ratio is for 'general washing' where there is longer contact time.

For those of you that recommend the 1:1 mix...are you using this mix for degreasing (short contact time) prior to washing? Do you spray it on...let it sit for 45-60 seconds...and then hose it off? Is Simple Green safe to use on cast steel/cast aluminum like that on a FatBoy??

What mix ratio/contact time do you recommend when using Simple Green as a degreaser pre-wash?? Can I spray it on the cast alum wheels, cast jugs, chrome, and under my Fat Boy without fear of pitting?? I'd like to use SG or something similar because it's a lot cheaper than 'bike' / 'car care' products.

Appreciate some feedback....

Regards
AlbertG

Old 07-19-2006, 07:03 PM
spade
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Simple Green Cleaner-Degreaser

I like 1:1.
I will spray it on the motor, tranny and wheels. Then (for the motor and tranny and rear wheel) I use a soft tire brush and scrub, then rinse.
I dont think I've ever timed it. I just do one section at a time.
For everything else, I use soap and water.
Always comes out looking nice.