Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
section8joe
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?

Anyone have and before and after pics? I'd like to see how much different the bike looks with the kit installed.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here you go. It's a little harder than just dropping in the springs like in the Progressive advertisement. Some bikes are easy and some are a lot harder like mine. The first 2 pictures are the before pictures and the third picture is me with my tubes dropped installing the spring, I had to take all the chrome of the front of the bike headlight and aux lights and back plate to do this. The last 2 are the after pictures. I dropped mine a little over 2 inches in the front (2 1/4 inchs exactly). I would not go over 2 inches on the front if I had it to do over easily. I dropped the rear 2 inches even, and used 422 Progressive shocks to do it.

Attached Thumbnails Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?-100_1962.jpg   Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?-100_0405.jpg   Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?-dscf0032.jpg   Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?-dscf0171.jpg   Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?-dscf0252.jpg  

Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM
section8joe
Cruiser

How's the ride after you dropped the forks?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by section8joe
How's the ride after you dropped the forks?

It defiantly rides harder than stock. However when it was stock it was too spongee to me. Now when I shift lanes or zig zag back and forth in the road it responds quick. I have the rears set to firm. The front springs are stiffer than stock which makes for a harder but not harsh ride. It took about a week to get used to the new ride, but I would never go back to stock height now.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Bugsplat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you replace the fork oil with the SE heavy oil?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bugsplat
Did you replace the fork oil with the SE heavy oil?

I used Drag Specilties Heavy Fork Oil. Its the same Viscosity and quality oil, however you get a full quart for a lot less price than SE heavy oil. I do suggest as Bugsplat mentioned use heavy fork oil what ever the brand, not standard or light fork oil on a lowered bike.
Picture below of oil.

Attached Thumbnails Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?-fork-oil.jpg  

Last edited by Rockyriver; 01-19-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before:

After:

Lowered about 2.5" up front with Progressive drop-in, and in back with Ultima adjustables.

I've got SE heavy fork oil up front, and it rides about the same as stock. It was a little soft up front with the standard oil. Took probably around 3 hours to install, taking my time. Not really difficult, but more than I originally thought it would be.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
section8joe
Cruiser

Wow, those bikes look awesome!
Thanks

Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

Your bikes do look good, I just lower my bike 1 inch with progressive lowered forks springs, the guy at progressive told me that I do not need to use the heavy oil but listing to you guys I am wonder if I went wrong. Right now I just put the shocks back on the bike and I would hate to remove everything to change the oil have you use the regular Harley oil?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 AM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ubreal
Your bikes do look good, I just lower my bike 1 inch with progressive lowered forks springs, the guy at progressive told me that I do not need to use the heavy oil but listing to you guys I am wonder if I went wrong. Right now I just put the shocks back on the bike and I would hate to remove everything to change the oil have you use the regular Harley oil?
I used standard oil when I first lowered my bike, and it was a little too soft for me. When I swapped over to chrome lowers I changed to the heavy oil and it was much better.

If you're happy with the ride, leave the standard oil in, but if it feels soft to you, change it out to the heavy would be my recommendation.

Quick Reply: Progressive drop in fork lowering kit pics?