Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exile Cycles Horn Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 PM
neocontra
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gambueller1
Warg.........

Sorry, it seems as though the "do-it yourself" option wasn't the idea. I apologize for trying to assist you in using this forum as just another tool to assist you in gathering information to make a sound decision on the exile kit.

guess some people get a little butt hurt cause they dropped a few hun on some "heavy duty ready to go" kits as opposed to making your own, as I know that is truly the information you were trying to assertain.

Just trying to help a brutha out as to me it seems in these times in this economy we truly will be our own demise b/c inginuity and inspiration can be bought off a shelf. But hey no sweat off me, I got mine done and can rest well at night knowing it won't fall off whilst driving down the road.......

Later days and bueller ways..........
I don't think anyone here is opposed to fabricated their own but keep in mind that some of us may not have the time, skill, or even resources to do so.

I can easily put my horn in front and move the coil to where the horn is, but I don't like that. There's nothing wrong with liking the way it looks, but I'd rather hide both. So the exile kit seems a good option. If someone here wants to show me the parts and everything then hell I'll go to town and make my own..I'm just as cheap as the next guy.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:13 PM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used niczumbo's thread as a guide to relocated my coil. I just bolted a bracket to the horn mount and reused the original coil cover. No cutting or welding. I ordered another long plug wire from the dealer (about $5). I eventually moved my stock horn behind the oil tank in front of the rear splash guard. I did have to cut and splice the wiring, but that's no big deal.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I definately want to move my horn in front of the splash guard. I want it to be invisible. I got no problem cutting and splicing wires, just need to know what kind of horn to buy to relocate or if I can use the stock horn. The coil relocation, I am planning on moving it behind my current horn cover, and I can fab a bracket if necessary.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
gambueller1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally posted by jcmer22
"i have the exile horn and coil relocation and granted, you can "fab" up something on your own, they give you everything you need and you do not need to cut or splice anything for the horn, they give you a new smaller buell horn and the coil relocation brakets are very very heavy duty and its all set up ready to go. where they put the components is tested and you have the piece of mind knowing it will work well."

sounds to me like some folks do have a problem with the idea of "fabbing" something up???? NO????

I find it a shame that some don't have the know how to ASK QUESTIONS either?!?!?!?!?!? (which is what WARG was doing) or get all bent out of shape right out the box without looking into the "how".....cause it is just as hard to put an off the shelf product on as it is a self created masterpiece.. give me a brake. There is NO way that "kit" is plug and play I bet you, when people who bought it chime up and elaborate on how easy it was to put it on, I could do the same thing just as easy with only spending a FRACTION of the dough which I can save to spend on some other "mod" should I choose.

I apologize if it seems as though I am hijacking this post, but really, how much extra time money or resources does it take to stop and think????? Again our societies biggest problem b/c it all too easy to reach in our pockets and pay up.

That was my whole original point in my previous post.... to provide WARG the insight that maybe by doing some research here (uhh ooohh there is that time piece that some may not have...... yet they can sure respond to my posts, hmmm go figure...) and look into a more INEXPENSIVE alternative (there are some awsome very detailed write ups by some great people here on this forum in the do it yourself section..ohh yeah takes time my bad) instead of put more money in the pocket of some dude who already has a ton of money, and in the end feel a sense of "accomplishment" for having figured it out himself.....ohh yeah that time and resource part... oooppsss my bad...

The information is here... no it isn't going to jump out and bite you in the butt, but this place is an amazing resource and asking the right questions and doing your research, I promise you, you can save a TON of money and time here.

Just my 2 cents

back to work on my bike..... cause I can and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Warg, I moved my stock horn to the other side of the bike and under the tfuel tank. About the easiest mod I have done. I used a little "L" bracket to mount the horn to the frame above the carb.

Someone else did this first(maybe Dusty??) and it is in the cheap mod section. I will see if I can find it for ya. HERE IS THE LINK FROM DUSTY Coil and Horn Relocation

As for the coil... I put mine behind my splash gaurd. Only thing I bought for that was a couple little spacers and long plug wires from USCooLines.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help ya with.

Jim

Last edited by Dustmaker; 01-24-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
Hey Warg, I moved my stock horn to the other side of the bike and under the tfuel tank. About the easiest mod I have done. I used a little "L" bracket to mount the horn to the frame above the carb.

Someone else did this first(maybe Dusty??) and it is in the cheap mod section. I will see if I can find it for ya. HERE IS THE LINK FROM DUSTY Coil and Horn Relocation

As for the coil... I put mine behind my splash gaurd. Only thing I bought for that was a couple little spacers and long plug wires from USCooLines.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help ya with.

Jim
Thanks Jim,

I have read Dusty's write up a few times and have it bookmarked. That is probably the route I will go. The "plug and play" kits are kind of seductive, but saving some cash is to. Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
jcmer22
Tourer

Originally Posted by gambueller1
Quote:
Originally posted by jcmer22
"i have the exile horn and coil relocation and granted, you can "fab" up something on your own, they give you everything you need and you do not need to cut or splice anything for the horn, they give you a new smaller buell horn and the coil relocation brakets are very very heavy duty and its all set up ready to go. where they put the components is tested and you have the piece of mind knowing it will work well."

sounds to me like some folks do have a problem with the idea of "fabbing" something up???? NO????

I find it a shame that some don't have the know how to ASK QUESTIONS either?!?!?!?!?!? (which is what WARG was doing) or get all bent out of shape right out the box without looking into the "how".....cause it is just as hard to put an off the shelf product on as it is a self created masterpiece.. give me a brake. There is NO way that "kit" is plug and play I bet you, when people who bought it chime up and elaborate on how easy it was to put it on, I could do the same thing just as easy with only spending a FRACTION of the dough which I can save to spend on some other "mod" should I choose.

I apologize if it seems as though I am hijacking this post, but really, how much extra time money or resources does it take to stop and think????? Again our societies biggest problem b/c it all too easy to reach in our pockets and pay up.

That was my whole original point in my previous post.... to provide WARG the insight that maybe by doing some research here (uhh ooohh there is that time piece that some may not have...... yet they can sure respond to my posts, hmmm go figure...) and look into a more INEXPENSIVE alternative (there are some awsome very detailed write ups by some great people here on this forum in the do it yourself section..ohh yeah takes time my bad) instead of put more money in the pocket of some dude who already has a ton of money, and in the end feel a sense of "accomplishment" for having figured it out himself.....ohh yeah that time and resource part... oooppsss my bad...

The information is here... no it isn't going to jump out and bite you in the butt, but this place is an amazing resource and asking the right questions and doing your research, I promise you, you can save a TON of money and time here.

Just my 2 cents

back to work on my bike..... cause I can and I LOVE IT!!!!!
hey man i have no problem fabbing my own stuff up or working on my bike im just letting him know that the exile kit is mint and worth the money from experince. im real close to finishing my 08 train that i did all the work to. even built the motor myself and im 23.
Name:  18675_291573270794_544325794_497900.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  56.9 KB
Name:  18675_291577570794_544325794_497901.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  52.5 KB
Name:  18675_291577460794_544325794_497901.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  50.9 KB

this was a 100% stock bike.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain

will a 16 gauge (60 volts max) be enough to be used to extend the coil wires??...

warg, the 06 coil looks good exposed (without a cover), unlike the 07s...

Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I don't think there is a bad option here, so thanks for the feedback from eveyone. I think I'm going to go with the option Dustmaker mentioned. No splicing of wires and just a small hole, bracket and self tapping screw. If that doesn't get it done, then I'll look back at the exile kit.

JCmer22, sweet train dude!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

But wait, there is now another option. On today's ride a friend showed up on a night train that he relocated his horn and coil. He got a small aftermarket horn (I don't know which one) and mounted it on the crossbar for the frame. This horn was not big enough to hit or damage a fender. He used the existing horn power wire routed under the tank and relocated the ground to the tank mount bolt. If I remember correctly, the horn just bolted right on to the crossbar. Not the "cleanest" as it was visible if you were looking for it, but simple and cheap. I don't think I took a pic which I am now kicking myself for.

Last edited by VTwin-Goodies; 01-24-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Exile Cycles Horn Relocation Kit