Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exile Cycles Horn Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is is possable to use a coil from a rocker? just a thought

Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM
chmartist
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay to splice the wires?

I know that some Harley wires carry not only electricity but also data. That means that cutting and soldering the wires can interfere with signals being sent to the device. I assume the horn is just a power connection, but is there any issue with cutting and splicing the coil wires?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by chmartist
I know that some Harley wires carry not only electricity but also data. That means that cutting and soldering the wires can interfere with signals being sent to the device. I assume the horn is just a power connection, but is there any issue with cutting and splicing the coil wires?
Did you ever find an answer for this> I know it's been a while, but this threat is sure to be seen again in a future search as was the case with me. So a conclusion is always nice.
I hate a thread that gets buried, only to be found by someone looking for help... Read through thinking at the end all is solved... Only to find your self searching and searching again. So why I'm here. Here to finish it up so the next member can get an answer and help.
There are many after market drop in kits and others that require the end user to fab a custom mount if they so desire.
I went with the drop in kit from DK. Self explanatory. Takes about an hour for the coil. Got their horn relo as well and found a spot on the stock coil braket to mount the horn they sent me that is fine right there next to the coil. Though I may move it again eventually. Doesn't really matter that much to me. But as for your question regarding how plug wires and coils communicate with the ECM. I found and was even told by Kevin at DK Customs that it will not be an issue. At least not on my 2014 FLS.
Changing spark plug wires is something the ECM will figure out on its own.
So I hope this helps finalize, or at the very least help add to this thread for future viewing.