Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas Tank Removal

Just removed my tank this weekend to do some lighting work. Never removed the tank on a fuel injected bike before. What a mess. Are there any tricks/tips on how to handle that crossover hose? Wondering if buying another fuel line to connect to the quick connect would do the trick. I'd like to take my tank off every once in awhile just to clean things up but I probably won't this way.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The best way I have found is to pinch off both sides and then cut the line in the middle, it will spill a little fuel but it's not too bad

Old 01-24-2010, 07:26 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Just removed my tank this weekend to do some lighting work. Never removed the tank on a fuel injected bike before. What a mess. Are there any tricks/tips on how to handle that crossover hose? Wondering if buying another fuel line to connect to the quick connect would do the trick. I'd like to take my tank off every once in awhile just to clean things up but I probably won't this way.
Yea i've taken off my tank several times and its simple but damm messy. I notice now i am pretty quick at pluggen that crossover line now.

I would say the best tip is to run that tank as dry as you can. Makes that tank nice and light too. Which makes it alot easier to handle. Plus less gas to spill.

Then use a vise grips or some type of clamp on one end. Pull the other end and plug with your finger while pulling tank off.

If i was smart i would buy a quick disconect line. They run around $40-50 bucks.

Every damm time i change my bars....umm tank off... runnen my air ride switches...umm tank off...tryen to find a short in my wire harness...tank off...tank off tank off tank off...sucks! And im sure its not the last time...tank off...

GOOD LUCK MAN!!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 PM
mdeutschmann
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got mine back on today not to bad but not something i would want to do that much

Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. Great ideas. Pinching off the line makes a lot of sense. I'll definetely try that the next time. All in all though things are cleaned back up and my new bullit lights look great.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
The best way I have found is to pinch off both sides and then cut the line in the middle, it will spill a little fuel but it's not too bad
Agreed. Go to the hardware store and buy yourself 4 ft of 5/16 ID gas hose. Then just pinch and cut the sucker and replace with new.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 AM
TheBoo
Intermediate
Red face Scared poopless!

Took my tank off (01 Heritage Softail EFI) to do some cleaning and had a home-made plug (short piece of line with a bolt jammed in it) ready for the nipple and another bolt and a hose clamp for the gas line when I pulled it off. Well, the home-made plug worked fine for the nipple but the fuel wouldn't stop dribbling even after tightening the hose clamp on the bolt jammed in the fuel line. Thought I had picked up the wrong size bolt so I jumped up and grabbed another one from my junk pile, snatched the first one off and jammed the second one in. Well that didn't work any better and by now I had spilled a LOT of gas all over the bike, the floor, and it was starting to run down the drain. It's 3:30 am and there is NO ONE to help. Starting to get a little panicky...the garage is full of fumes...I grab a funnel and jam a larger fuel line into the small end and hold it up to the dribble. As I lean down I place my hand on the bike and hear a small pop...God Help Me it's static electricity!! At this point I am a little light-headed and thinking I nearly toasted myself, my 66 SS396 Chevelle and my son's 69 SS396 El Camino! It was stupid not to have plan B (the funnel) ready. Next time, I'll pinch my lines off, too.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Cut the original hose and get a long fuel line to attach to it to run into a fuel can. Then, get another piece of fuel line and reattach with hose clamps. That is what I did. It still made a mess the first time I did, it, but the gas washed right off. Run the tank as dry as you can. That was something I didn't do the first time and learned my lesson on.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first try to get every drop of fuel out by using this siphon method. I get a long enough hose to reach the can on the ground and the put a rag over the filler neck of the tank then, take a air line and put some presure in the tank while using the rag to help seal the presure in and when it stops keep repeating untill it is all gone.You can really presure almost all of it out.Then I start to disconect the lines etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
porkypig
6th Gear

Hope I'm not committing the unforgiveable sin by posting this here. You may try this link and help you out. Is really nice not getting gas all over the engine and yourself, floor, etc. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=45448.0

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Removal