Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive "drop in" lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I left mine the 4.5 in I am thinking of taking it back apart and cut some more to level it out

Old 02-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Rick101285
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the full half of inch of it. I cut it down to 4 inches. I wish I could go lower with the damn thing though.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Rail
Road Master

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

So in the instructions posted above one model shows 0.0".. Does this mean not to install the spacer or not to cut it? I'm looking at this for my bike and after reading through the instructions for the FXCW I'm not sure I want if I have to take my front end apart like they are saying.. I'm tired of tearing things apart on this bike.. lol

Old 02-03-2010, 02:08 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am headed out right now to start this project myself.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

I'm finished. Pretty impressed with Progressive's design. Very straightforward and no seals to replace! Bike sits much lower in the front now. Step by step:

1. Jack up the bike.
2. Unbolt the bars and lay them on the tank.
3. Unbolt the little clamp holding your front brake line so that you can have some wiggle room.
4. Unbolt the forks.
5. Slide the forks down until the fork cap is an inch or two above the bottom tree and re-tighten the bottom tree bolts.
6. Use a 13/16" open end wrench and remove the fork caps (keep pressure on the last couple threads so they don't pop out and you drop them on your fender).
7. Loosen the bottom tree bolts and remove the entire front end (wheel and all). Just set the tire on the ground between your feet and slowly remove the stock springs, letting the fluid drip back in the fork tube.
8. Put in the new parts in this order: Long spring, short spring, washer PVC washer.
9. Push down on the fork cap while spinning the fork tube OR hold the tube and turn the cap, whatever is easier for you
10. Re-tighten the fork caps in the same manner that you took them off in steps 5-6
11. Reinstall the front forks and torque everything to factory specs
12. Hang your brake line again
13. Double check your work and go enjoy

That being said, I cut my spacer to 3-7/8" and sanded it smooth to 3-3/4" total length. I'm going riding, pics will come later if I come home before dark

Last edited by stupid_rope; 02-03-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

After extensive testing, I can say that I am pleased with the product. The suspension was a lot easier on my body (since I have no shocks out back) and the overall control of the bike was much improved. Plus it changed my riding position which allows me to ride faster and longer. Overall, an awesome product for $120 considering it takes very little time to accomplish and its very clean and straightforward.

Before pic is on the right After the PSI drop-in kit and new Rad II mirrors, left:

Attached Thumbnails Progressive "drop in" lowering kit-nightrain-jan-2010_1.jpg   Progressive "drop in" lowering kit-nightrain-jan-2010_2.jpg   Progressive "drop in" lowering kit-imgp2362.jpg  

Last edited by stupid_rope; 02-04-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
ScReaMnEagLE22
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work rope, she's looking great. I took my lowers apart for some PCing , but that was almost 6 months ago and dont recall what it looked like in there..

I have a few ??'s regarding the install. Do the forks have to come off the bike, or can the lowering springs be installed through the top ?? some pics of the install would be great.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ScReaMnEagLE22
nice work rope, she's looking great. I took my lowers apart for some PCing , but that was almost 6 months ago and dont recall what it looked like in there..

I have a few ??'s regarding the install. Do the forks have to come off the bike, or can the lowering springs be installed through the top ?? some pics of the install would be great.

Thanks
Unfortunately I didn't have a camera handy. Due to the upper triple tree, I found it easier to just drop the front end out of the trees and swap out the springs - its like literally 60 seconds per tube. Then just throw the whole thing back up in the trees.

It IS possible to do without pulling the forks out of the trees but you have to be careful not to tear up the upper tree when installing the new springs. The old springs are long and floppy so you can bend them as they come out to clear the upper tree. The new lower springs are shorter and not as floppy. So to answer your question, yes, it is possible but I just found it easier to yank them out.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 AM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great. I cannot wait to install this kit next week when I am off from work.

Hey Rope, you did 3-3/4 and got the exact result that I want. Let us know if it settles any lower, over the next few days. GREAT JOB!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rope: I like the way your bike sits but I don't understand why you didn't give yourself some shock travel in the back. Is it purely for looks?

This looks like a future mod for me too. It's either this or kick out the front tire by using some 6 degree trees. I'm not sure how the trail would be and I know I'd lose the ability to lock the front end. This looks like a better mod and less expensive.

Quick Reply: Progressive "drop in" lowering kit