Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?Using Easybrackets on Hard Bags on Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:27 PM
50ronnie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ?Using Easybrackets on Hard Bags on Softail?

Is anyone using the easybrackets hardware on a set of hard bags like the touring ones on their softail fatboy? I like the idea of quick detachable bags but don't want the mounting hardware to remain on the bike. I currently use the easybrackets on a set of leatherworks leather bags but want to change up to larger hard bags. I'm using the fender holes spaced at 9 1/2" and the appropriate easybrackets and mounting hardware. Yes, I'm running with lowered python long shots and the rear turn signals have been relocated so I know I have enough room for the larger touring saddlebags.

If you are using them, please post good pictures of how and where you mounted the easybrackets to the hard bags.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at mounting a set of hard leather Roadking bags on my Heritage. I have easy brackets on my stock bags and thought I could swap them onto the RK bags. With the stock heritage seat on the bike there is interference with the lid of the bag when it is opened. With the narrow seat you have on your FB it might work, at least with the leather RK bags. I'm not sure about the hard plastic bags, but make sure you check the seat clearance.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Red9
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using the easy brackets with my hardbags.

I'm like you, I want the security of hardbags plus the carrying capability but I also want to be able to take them off quickly with the least amount of visible hardware. The easy brackets work fine in this regard.

The only problem you're going to find is the weight of the hardbags. Using just the easy brackets, they will tilt inwards and look like ****.

I've come across a 35mm chrome bracket, which will wrap around the rear tire and fastens to the bottom of each bag for stability. It should be here in the next few days. If you like, I'll post up picks when I have it installed in the next week or two.

If it does the job I am hoping it will do, I will be very satisfied.

Lee

Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
ctbird53
Cruiser

I considered using easy brackets but dont think they offer enough support for hard bags especialy if there loaded heavy. You need some kind of support under the bags IMHO. I ended up using baggertails from cycle visions.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ctbird53
I considered using easy brackets but dont think they offer enough support for hard bags especialy if there loaded heavy. You need some kind of support under the bags IMHO. I ended up using baggertails from cycle visions.
I don't think they would make a baggertail if it was not necessary. Just my .02

Old 03-05-2010, 07:14 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the new hd convertible has a good ideal for the bag support but i dont see why the easy bracket would not work. if you felt the bag was not strong enough then you could make a L bracket to reinforce the easy bracket. i have large soft bags on mine and use the short easy brackets and they hold a lot of weight. at least 2 six packs

Attached Thumbnails ?Using Easybrackets on Hard Bags on Softail?-dsc08950c.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM
tattoofever
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red9
I'm using the easy brackets with my hardbags.

I'm like you, I want the security of hardbags plus the carrying capability but I also want to be able to take them off quickly with the least amount of visible hardware. The easy brackets work fine in this regard.

The only problem you're going to find is the weight of the hardbags. Using just the easy brackets, they will tilt inwards and look like ****.

I've come across a 35mm chrome bracket, which will wrap around the rear tire and fastens to the bottom of each bag for stability. It should be here in the next few days. If you like, I'll post up picks when I have it installed in the next week or two.

If it does the job I am hoping it will do, I will be very satisfied.

Lee
i know this is a old post but was wondering how that lower bracket worked out for you and if you could post a pic or two of your setup ,also where do you get easy brackets ?thanks in advance for any help

Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

I would look at the Edge brackets if I were you. I see no issue with those mounting hard bags. They have 4 bolts and a fairly large bracket to attach. They used to be Ghost brackets.