Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep using SYN 3 in primary and Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 04:33 PM
pat112
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep using SYN 3 in primary and Trans?

getting ready to change fluids and should I stay with SYN3 in all 3 holes or use HD Chain case and Trans fluid for primary and Transmission?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:42 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I use 30% African elephant **** and 70% English bulldog jiz in mine.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 PM
tenrams
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Redline V-twin tranny oil and primary oil . I also use mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 in the crankcase

Old 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything non fuel conserving (ain't no reason to put expesive oil in primary) Mobil1 75w-140 gear oil in transmission. That's what I use. Keeping proper change intervals the most important.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Even Harley doesn't recomend the syn3 in the primary or tranny. It hasn't come in the SE models for a few years now. They sent a service announcement to all the dealers a few years ago to stop using it in the primary and tranny. Pick something else.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:10 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Even Harley doesn't recomend the syn3 in the primary or tranny. It hasn't come in the SE models for a few years now. They sent a service announcement to all the dealers a few years ago to stop using it in the primary and tranny. Pick something else.
I didn't know that. Did they say all synthetics or just Syn3 and do you know why? I ues Amsoil products in mine but I would be curious to know why they quit recommending Syn3.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Amsoil in motor,redline in trans ,drag specialties in primary.Harley says you can use syn 3 in all holes.I think it Shifts better with redline in trans.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:57 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
70% English bulldog jiz in mine.
Man, that Bulldog must follow you around all the time!!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
I didn't know that. Did they say all synthetics or just Syn3 and do you know why? I ues Amsoil products in mine but I would be curious to know why they quit recommending Syn3.
They didn't say. They only said to use gear oil in the tranny and primary lube in the primary. The bike will shift much better with gear oil. I'm sure they don't want to admit any mistake in their early recomendations for the syn 3. What I find kind of odd is that on their website and in the catalog they say that syn3 is good in all three holes but in their service bulletin they said don't do it. And they quit putting it in the SE bikes when the bulletin came out.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:21 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
They didn't say. They only said to use gear oil in the tranny and primary lube in the primary. The bike will shift much better with gear oil. I'm sure they don't want to admit any mistake in their early recomendations for the syn 3. What I find kind of odd is that on their website and in the catalog they say that syn3 is good in all three holes but in their service bulletin they said don't do it. And they quit putting it in the SE bikes when the bulletin came out.
I actually agree with them. They used to not recommend synthetic and said to run weight specific lubes, then they came out with there own synthetic and said to put it in all three holes? I never thought 20w/50 should be run in the transmission it's too light. I run Amsoil 20w/50 in the engine, Amsoil 75w/90 in the trans, and Amsoil Supershift in the primary. So far this has been a good combination for me.

Quick Reply: Keep using SYN 3 in primary and Trans?