Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush mount caps

Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush mount caps

I want to install flush mount caps on my '05 Softail. I don't want the left side to be a gas gauge, my gas gauge has been broken since last spring anyways. Can I just get 2 plain flush mount gas caps for the right side and install one on the left or is there something I'm missing for that left side?

Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 AM
honkylips
Road Captain

If I recall correctly, a flush gas fill cap will be too small to fill the hole left by removing your gas gauge. My gas gauge never worked, so I got rid of mine. I cut out a piece of sheet metal and welded it in where the gas gauge went. I was getting ready to paint my tank at the time anyway, so a little extra body work didn't matter.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM
twiceretired
Tourer

You might check out Kuryakyn's set of flush mounts. The right side is the gas cap, left side is matching gas gauge and charging monitor lights. I'm running that set and really like the look. Personal opinion.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The Harley flush mount come in a set of gas gauge and gas cap. When you say your gas gauge is broken does that mean no light, inaccurate, or what?

Old 03-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Schaub85
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the doc said, its a set. left is the LED gauge and the right is the actual tank cap. Love mine, lots of complements too. Oh and install is easy.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default flush mount

Originally Posted by Schaub85
Like the doc said, its a set. left is the LED gauge and the right is the actual tank cap. Love mine, lots of complements too. Oh and install is easy.
I like mine, and so far no problems. Had the dealer install so now they have the full 2 yr warranty.

Attached Thumbnails Flush mount caps-bluelight-special.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 08:00 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

When I say it's broke I mean it's stuck on E. I hit a MASSIVE pothole last spring with a 'plump' passenger. I thought my front rim was gonna be bent, I pulled over but nothing was wrong. I was shocked. I've been wanting to switch to a flush mount for a while. So what you guys are saying is there's no way for me to just have a flush mount cap on the left side? I have to get one of the gas gauges? I'd like to go with the gloss black ones.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you install the flush set the left side will just look like a cap if it is not hooked up (no led lights). Even if you could get two gas caps it wouldn't work on the left side because there is nothing to screw it into.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
If you install the flush set the left side will just look like a cap if it is not hooked up (no led lights). Even if you could get two gas caps it wouldn't work on the left side because there is nothing to screw it into.
+1, you have to have threads to screw the cap in to.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the looks of the flush mount but my one of the LED guages went out and the cap actually came apart on me. It snaps back together but rather frustrating. And looks Great but there will be issues. Buddies gone through 2 sets bc of LED's going out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flush mount caps