Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

syn 3 dealer says its good in 3 holes ?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 PM
jokr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default syn 3 dealer says its good in 3 holes ?

I was buying my fluids at my dealer and they wanted to know why I did not want the syn 3 for the tranny and primary.I told them that I heard that harley does not recommend it anymore and they thought I was crazy.They said they would not put it in the screaming eagle bikes if it was not good .I told them that it is not in the screaming eagle bikes and they said I was wrong.HELP!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny man!!!! i know were you read that and 99% of us said it OK and 1% said its not..... i see who you listen too..lol good luck!

Hmmm why do they call it "Syn 3"?...lol

Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM
jokr
Road Captain

Thats why im asking .Because I dont know.I listen to the guys on this forum because I trust you guys more then the dealer.No big deal to me cause I change the fluid every 2000 miles

Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jokr
Thats why im asking .Because I dont know.I listen to the guys on this forum because I trust you guys more then the dealer.No big deal to me cause I change the fluid every 2000 miles
Just busten chops Joker....i run Syn 3 in all 3 and i have not one complaint...shifting actually got smoother when i changed to Syn 3...good luck brother

Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been over many times and you will gets lots of opinions. Harley would not recommend or even sell the Syn3 if it were not OK to use. As a matter of fact any of the brand products will serve you well. It's a personal decision you have to make.

Many use the Syn3 because it's easy to get and they only have to keep one weight on hand. I used to run Syn3 in my bike. That being said, after much reading (and there is alot to read) on the subject I made the decision to go with Amsoil full synthetic. I also decided to go with weight specific products- 20w/50 in the crankcase, 75w/90 in the transmission, and Supershift in the primary. I feel the weight specific products help my bike perform most efficiently. I did this beacuase I feel these products give me superior protection and service. Not to mention my price on the Amsoil is cheaper than the Syn3 by about 1/3.

At the end of the day it often comes down to what you have confidence in. Happy reading!

Last edited by harleyheaven; 03-21-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Go back to your dealer and ask them to show you what comes in the Screamin Eagle models in the manual for the bike. I think they'll be surprised. Make sure it's a current model.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:14 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

2 of our 3 nearest HD dealer use sny3 in motor. All three use Formual+ in primary.
All three sell royal purple, Bel-ray or Sprectum GL for the 96'' trannys and urge us to use one of them.

U can use what ever U like,,

Old 03-21-2010, 11:17 PM
SaltyHawg
Cruiser

My mechanic told me NOT to use it in all 3. He uses it in the crankcase. Outside of that he uses synthetic oils specifically developed for the application. why would you want to use a 20W50 oil in the gearbox? He also told me that Harley did come out with a TSB or something advising AGAINST using syn3 in all 3 holes. I haven't seen the TSB or whatever it was myself but I trust his word on the subject and personally I am not going to take a chance just to save a buck or two.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Syn 3 is not pure synthetic. It's a blend.

I had a 2006 Low Rider I bought brand new. I had them do the first service to check everything and put Syn 3 in all holes.

When it got warm on the way home the motor sounded like rocks in a Prince Albert can, and shifted like it was sick.

I had that stuff out before nightfall. Went back with Mobile V-Twin in the engine and primary and Mobile Synthetic gear lube in the trans.

Some machines take to it like mothers milk. Others like mine choked on it.

I have a 2007 Heritage now, after wrecking the Low Rider, I haven't switched to Synthetic yet but will go with V-Twin when I do.

There are a lot of good synthetics out there to chose from.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jokr
changing synthetic oil every 2000 miles is not a good thing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: syn 3 dealer says its good in 3 holes ?