Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversation with BEL-RAY (primary & tranny fluid is same relabeled)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM
olcrazy1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversation with BEL-RAY (primary & tranny fluid is same relabeled)

I was looking at putting Bel-Ray "Primary" into my primary and the 85W-140 into my Tranny. I contacted them to find out the weight of the Primary lube because I was planning on using like a 10W-40 in my Primary. Their Primary lube, trannsmission oil and Hypoid gear oil is all the same stuff just labeled differently. Some of you may already know this, I didn't and thought I would share for those who don't. See below conversation with Bel-Ray tech support..............

ME:
Can you please advise what weight Bel-Ray Primary lube #96920 lube oil is? I want to make sure before I put it into my primary. The bike is a 2005 Harley Fatboy FLSTF, if you recommend a better oil for this application please advise.
Thanks

BEL-RAY:
Thanks for writing in.
The Bel-Ray Performance lubricant to use for the primary of your Harley is the Bel-Ray Primary ChainCase Lubricant or the Bel-Ray Gear Saver Transmission Oil 80W. These are the same oils in different packages. These oils will provide you with excellent clutch performance and clutch wear protection.
Check out our website at belray.com we have added a new feature, Bel-Ray Powersports Lubricant Advisor located under Consumer, bottom of first page, that will tell you the correct Bel-Ray lubricants for your specific make and model based on the OEM recommendations.
Thanks for using Bel-Ray Performance Products
Regards,
SirTech

ME:
Thank you,
If that is the case, I am looking to put Bel-Ray 85W-140 (your product number 96900) in my transmission.
Any chance this is the same as the Bel-Ray Primary ChainCase Lubricant or the Bel-Ray Gear Saver Transmission Oil 80W so that I can get away with buying one product for both transmission and primary?

BEL-RAY:
The Bel-Ray Big Twin Transmission Oil is the same product as the Bel-Ray Gear Saver Hypoid Gear Oil 85W-140 again same oil different package. This product will provide the lubrication needed for the bearings, shafts and gears while providing smoother shifting and quieting down the gear whine these transmissions make.
Regards,
SirTech