Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

procharger vs.big bore kit????

Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 AM
DD82ndAA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procharger vs.big bore kit????

I was looking at puting a big bore kit on a 88ci on my 06 duece. What are the pros and cons of doing this? I was looking at the numbers on supercharging this engine and they are pretty impressive. What are the pros and cons with the supercharger? Is there anyone already running a supercharger on a 88ci on this forum? If so do yall have any actual dyno numbers? Thanks for any info and help.

Last edited by DD82ndAA; 03-28-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:29 AM
oldman9
Intermediate

What are you trying to do with your bike?
Drag strip, just a little more power, or what?
From my experience with pro-chargers on cars, I'm pretty sure your just going to shorten your piston rings life span and possibly burn some valves.
What ever you decide to do, good luck with it.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

JMHO here, but the Pro Chager set up is just plain "anti Harley" on both sides of the bike. It's bulky intercooler, and all of that modern plumbing overtakes the classic, old school lines of a Harley engine. If you want more speed, buy a Kawasaki.
If you have your heart set on a conversation piece, I would go the Magnacharger "roots" blower route. Still looks Harleyesque and old school..

I have had fast rice bikes before, so I think I know what fast was. A beefed up Harley ain't fast in any modified form when compared to "fast" imported bikes..
All I did to my bike was drop a 95" kit in it, sent out the heads and installed a 204 cam. It has all the power and torque I need.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Hotwire
Tourer

Go big bore. ITs proven and way way less trouble. Im not knocking the Pro-Chargers. But like it was said before. Unless your dragging your bike. Boosting a big bike like ours... is just trouble on the street.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:44 AM
DD82ndAA
6th Gear

Thanks for the info and advice. I was wanting a little more umff. That is the only reason I was toying with the idea of a procharger. All I will be doing with my bike is cruising no drag or strip but we all know when you get on those long streches of highway out in BFE you like to open it up. Big bore is the way to go then keep it all natural in a sense.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 AM
DD82ndAA
6th Gear

George C do you have any dyno numbers? Before and after? You have a really good looking bike. Could you tell a big difference in the engine after you had the big bore kit done? As far as torque and response go. Thanks for your time.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 AM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Originally Posted by DD82ndAA
George C do you have any dyno numbers? Before and after? You have a really good looking bike. Could you tell a big difference in the engine after you had the big bore kit done? As far as torque and response go. Thanks for your time.
There is a very noticable difference with the big bore kit. For what it is, my bike flies. I can take any of my friends stock 96ci's. Personally i wouldnt do the big bore without adding cams tho.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

s&s just came out w/a 97" drop in for the 88's I'm goin that route next winter. I just installed a 1200 kit on my 883 and holysh1t what a diffrence man! THat things a rocketsled on whels.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any numbers because the bike's never been on a dyno, and I had the work done before I took delivery of the bike when it was new. The usual numbers are between 95 and 100 on both ends.
I can tell you this, I can thump my buddies Honda 600 crotch rocket, and I weigh 260 lbs.
Power from the head work with the 204 is solid from idle up to 4000 RPM with no soft spots. There are lots of cam debate, but I feel the SE 204 is simply the best of everything when it comes to a street cam. It's essentially the same grind as the old Andrews 37B. It thumps right off of idle and has a ton of top end.
The key is having your heads worked.

Last edited by George C; 03-28-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:24 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I was looking at puting a big bore kit on a 88ci on my 06 duece. What are the pros and cons of doing this? I was looking at the numbers on supercharging this engine and they are pretty impressive. What are the pros and cons with the supercharger? Is there anyone already running a supercharger on a 88ci on this forum? If so do yall have any actual dyno numbers? Thanks for any info and help.
What's your budget??Depending on how big you go,a kit & procharger prices will be very close.Supercharger probably about $5,000-6,000,crank work an additional $1,500 tune additional $500; a 110-113 ci probably about $7,000-8,000 with the crank work & tune.So they would be close.Depends on really what you want.I prefer naturally aspirated myself.I don't like the bulky look of the supercharger!!!

Last edited by arealinvestor; 03-28-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: procharger vs.big bore kit????