Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:00 PM
deluxenut
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need a AC/fuel line quick disconnect tool. The specific size is 3/8", but you'll probably have to buy the complete set which is not a bad deal. Sears has a Lisle set here: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...isconnect+tool

A shop manual would be a good investment if don't already have one. It will show the procedure.

As far as prices on starter's or what brand to buy, Google is your best friend or do a search in this forum.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

not battery is it? my mates bike would start, go for ride turn it off.it wouldnt start while warm, turned out to be battery!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
not battery is it? my mates bike would start, go for ride turn it off.it wouldnt start while warm, turned out to be battery!
I have a new battery which is kept on a tender all the time when the bike isn't ridden.

UPDATE: I finally got my PC in the mail and put it on last night. It didn't solve the problem. My buddy, who stopped by to say hi and wound up helping me (God bless him), noticed smoke coming from the AC right after I shut it down for another try. It hissed and then he saw smoke. I myself have noticed this a few times over the past few months since I've had this problem.

Anyone with ideas why the smoke from the AC when I try to start it?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:50 PM
kaynine840
Tourer

you dont need a special tool to disconnect the oil lines. it makes it easier, but its not that hard to do without it. at the top of oil line where it connects to the reservoir, just pry of the chrome covers with a small flat screw driver. (they arent on there that tight and you can do it without scratching the surface). underneath the chrome caps are plastic clips that you squeeze and pull. the oil line should come right out.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM
kaynine840
Tourer

oh, and theres no such thing as a bad starter. just a couple internal components that can be rebuilt or replaced for cheap. for mine, it was the starter clutch.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM
DutchBiker
Stage II

I'd have to agree with whoever said your groung on your starter might be the problem. ECM problems WILL NOT contribute to hard starting,unless the ecm is not delivering fuel at all. Now MAYBE the stealership didn't tighten something that may have contributed to the starter problem but unlikely. There is a ground wire attached to one of your mounting bolts on the starter......start looking there. If it's not that,it sounds most like a starter clutch or starter selenoid problem.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

kaynine840 is right you dont need a tool just squeese the black oil line keepers and pull the lines out after you pull the crome covers back and he is also right about the starter. I have torn mine down three times. Twice for the over run clutch and once to file the contact points on the solinoid contact plate. The 1.4 kw starters are a realy good unit. If its the over run clutch i recomend not getting the harley one but the lifetime warrenty one is a great unit. And yes their name is lifetime warrenty I think.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Roadglide2006
Stage III
Default Same Problem

I am in the process of removing my starter and I have a question.I can pull the the starter 1" out but it won't come out..Am I supposed to remove primary cover and tap it out from the primary side .

Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I think on the pre 07's had a bolt inside the primary. 07's are held in by 2 bolts and friction of the o-ring plus the 2 wires. Hope others chime in. RG's might be different. And welcome to the forum!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM
kaynine840
Tourer

mine is an 06 and i had to pull the primary cover off to remove a bolt from that side. it is a long skinny bolt and do not over torque it when putting it back in cause it snaps very easily.

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement