Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:18 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
My oil temp runs 15-20 degrees cooler, if that's a waste of money then I'll waste it all day long. IMO people expect too much from oil coolers, a lot think think they are going to be able to feel the difference in the heat coming off their engine, the heat your feeling is from your cylinders as a byproduct of combustion an oil cooler will do nothing to stop that. An oil cooler will however help keep that heat from breaking down your oil prematurely. I have found oil coolers are second only to tuners as far as misinformation floating around these forums, there are so many just repeating these myths that a lot of folks have come to accept this stuff as facts. There are quite a few out there exaggerating the results to ridiculous extremes that are not even remotely possible. The articles in the last few American Iron issues are good solid tech info and if you're considering an oil cooler then it would be well worth your time to educate yourself as to what makes one cooler better than another and make your choice from there.
Thanks much for responding dude. The guy that told me that was a lead instructor at Wyotech. I didn't read it on here. 15-20 deg is significant. I'd rather keep it HD as much as i can. Hell with my luck I'd get an aftermarket one and it would void the freakin warranty.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatburger
Thanks much for responding dude. The guy that told me that was a lead instructor at Wyotech. I didn't read it on here. 15-20 deg is significant. I'd rather keep it HD as much as i can. Hell with my luck I'd get an aftermarket one and it would void the freakin warranty.
Not a problem, glad to help out. You just gotta watch some of the information that floats around on the forums,some of it is really good and some of it is total BS. What I like most about this thread is most of what gets posted is first hand experience (not my brother in law's neighbor who had a friend at the bar who new a guy that used to work on bikes) and a lot of us are the ones doing the work.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could change a stainless steel bolt to a chrome bolt and it would void the warranty.. if that bolt is cause for a failure, of course. I'm glad I didn't buy the extended warranty, because about 3 months after I got my bike that thing was voided anyways.

I also just had a realization that I've had mine for close to 4 1/2 years now. And still only 132 miles on it. Man it looks good stationary. jk

Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
You could change a stainless steel bolt to a chrome bolt and it would void the warranty.. if that bolt is cause for a failure, of course. I'm glad I didn't buy the extended warranty, because about 3 months after I got my bike that thing was voided anyways.
I had the assistant service manager at the dealer where I bought mine from "warn" me about the aftermarket items I was installing myself. His exact words were " if you continue to do this we will find it hard to be able to warranty anything on your bike". I asked "so if I had a problem with the engine after I changed the handle bars" his reply was " any work that I did myself may void the entire warranty even if the parts are not related" I took this as them trying to scare me into only using Harley parts installed by them. I haven't talked to anyone in a service department since. What little work I did have them do when the bike was new was shoddy anyways, pinched wires, stripped out a brand new bolt in a highway peg bracket, scratches on my rims. And when I questioned him about these things his excuse was "we can tell that you have worked on it since it left here, so it's possible that these things happened after it left here"

Old 08-07-2014, 09:26 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Fat11Lo, Now wait just a minute! Did you ride that Lo off the lot? 'Cause if you did, I'm pretty sure that voids the warranty right there!

Old 08-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim

I also just had a realization that I've had mine for close to 4 1/2 years now. And still only 132 miles on it. Man it looks good stationary. jk
Fckn A dude! Murphy's Law is a bitch that stalks me constantly. I'm glad has hell I bought that warranty LMAO. I'm getting a new engine after 20,000 miles. 3 tires so far from the warranty also. I'm getting it back today. I will see if they give me an itemized list of all the shyt they bought and labor hours charged. I'm pretty sure it's more than what the warranty cost me.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:43 AM
Fatburger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I had the assistant service manager at the dealer where I bought mine from "warn" me about the aftermarket items I was installing myself. His exact words were " if you continue to do this we will find it hard to be able to warranty anything on your bike". I asked "so if I had a problem with the engine after I changed the handle bars" his reply was " any work that I did myself may void the entire warranty even if the parts are not related" I took this as them trying to scare me into only using Harley parts installed by them. I haven't talked to anyone in a service department since. What little work I did have them do when the bike was new was shoddy anyways, pinched wires, stripped out a brand new bolt in a highway peg bracket, scratches on my rims. And when I questioned him about these things his excuse was "we can tell that you have worked on it since it left here, so it's possible that these things happened after it left here"
There's a precedent on here somewhere about that. Yayhoo vs Joe bag a donuts or some shyt. The guy was bullshitting you. They have to prove that a modification you made directly caused the malfunction of the part under warranty.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:22 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have to prove that a modification you made directly caused the malfunction of the part under warranty.
It's exactly this, no matter which dealer you go to.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 AM
indypepper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question...I'm trying to find a front wheel to replace my OEM on a 2013 Lo. Forged preferred. But all I can find are companies like Renegade, RC, Sinister, Colorado, Etc, that want over $1000 for 1 wheel. I saw a company called Revtech with some for $499. Anyone know anything about them or what buying a wheel from them entails? Or why they are so much cheaper? Or is there a site where I can get a used wheel? Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

There's a precedent on here somewhere about that. Yayhoo vs Joe bag a donuts or some shyt. The guy was bullshitting you. They have to prove that a modification you made directly caused the malfunction of the part under warranty.
You guys are right, I spent a good part of my early years working for some dealership garages, most of them heavy trucks, but some of the crap I've seen pulled by service writers and then cosigned by managers, would make you want to beat some ***. I prefer to do my own work, that way I know it's done right. It just pisses me off to think if something legitimately happened to where I needed to use the warranty, I would have to argue with that ignorant mentality. Makes me wonder how many people actually buy their line of crap.

I'm glad everything worked out for you and you're getting your wheels back. Ride safe bro!!

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners