Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Smile

nice pictures thanks

Old 08-11-2015, 05:36 PM
JP-FLSTFB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

So what's the scoop with the low resale value of our lo's? I am seeing bikes being sold for 12 & 13 grand with lo mileage. Is it the touring bike craze?

I purchased my lo last year in February for close to $19k then put 4-5 thousand in extras to make the bike fit me. Well it doesn't fit me still and am now thinking I need to get a bigger bike. Well damn the lo ball offers for trade in are awful. Basically what I owe so I'm not upside down in the bike but always thought Harley's held their value better.

I love the looks of the bike and bought it as my first road bike. Once I got into it I wanted to go on weekend and longer rides but end up having to stop every half hour to get blood back into my extremities. Obviously bought the wrong bike and am going to have to pay the price to get into a bike that is more suitable for the longer haul.
I tried to make it what it isn't. Its better than stock with the fairing and bags and seat but a four hour trip has me in rough shape and ruins the time.

I've put 10,000 miles on this bike in a short New England season and 1/2. Not sure what to do, dump more money into it in hopes of making it better? Strip all the goodies off and put it to stock sell all the aftermarket and trade in? Trade in with all the touring stuff in hopes of getting a better trade?

Just a little aggravated that the sexiest looking bike they make doesn't hold value for $h1t.....

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-photo4.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-photo15.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

What did you do to it? According to your sig it doesn't look like you did much to change your "fit", like different bars, shotgun shock, different seat? What don't you like with the bike? I know that seat and bars can make a huge difference good or bad. But then you know better than anybody if you need the new bike.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:15 PM
JP-FLSTFB
Tourer

I put 2 inch risers on the bars. I bought the maverick daddy long legs seat and cruise arms. I have a 36 inch inseam so the seat helped by bringing me back. I considered the shotgun shock and progressives offerings. I don't think suspension is the issue. My feet are always on the cruise arms otherwise I feel cramped. I was on a trip with a friend and we swapped bikes and I was completely comfortable on a touring bike. (Street glide). I was able to slide back in his seat where mine I am locked due to the fender hump? I just don't want to dump more into it and find out nothing will help and then take a further beating.

My question was more about the resale of the bike and wondering why softails take a hit more than the touring bikes.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

If you pay attention to your history, on this forum, most of the folks that have traded out of the Softail line have traded for touring bikes and a good number of those have been Streetglides. Most dealers that I have visited have at least a 2:1 ratio of touring models to all other models combined. From a business standpoint why would I pay top dollar for your Softail (nothing personal, because I really dig your bike) when a good number of the new Softails I sell end up being traded in on a touring bike and then I have trouble selling your trade for top dollar because of the demand for touring bikes. I have seen a good number of folks come and go on this thread in the short time I have been here and if your Lo isn't right for you then you need to get the right bike for you, dare I say even if it's not a Harley. IMO its about the ride, no matter what you own if you can't enjoy the ride what's the point. I did some work to a buddy's 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra last weekend and that has to be the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden, I'm sure I could make it fit me with some mods but out of the box it's a nightmare to me. I understand your predicament, if you put more money in and it still doesn't work then you're out even more, or if you trade off you could be missing out on something you like the looks of better. IMO the direction you have gone with your bike you just may be a Streetglide kinda guy and there ain't nothing wrong with that either

Old 08-12-2015, 06:50 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Yup, sounds like maybe it's time to bite the bullet. How 'bout selling private?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 PM
JP-FLSTFB
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
If you pay attention to your history, on this forum, most of the folks that have traded out of the Softail line have traded for touring bikes and a good number of those have been Streetglides. Most dealers that I have visited have at least a 2:1 ratio of touring models to all other models combined. From a business standpoint why would I pay top dollar for your Softail (nothing personal, because I really dig your bike) when a good number of the new Softails I sell end up being traded in on a touring bike and then I have trouble selling your trade for top dollar because of the demand for touring bikes. I have seen a good number of folks come and go on this thread in the short time I have been here and if your Lo isn't right for you then you need to get the right bike for you, dare I say even if it's not a Harley. IMO its about the ride, no matter what you own if you can't enjoy the ride what's the point. I did some work to a buddy's 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra last weekend and that has to be the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden, I'm sure I could make it fit me with some mods but out of the box it's a nightmare to me. I understand your predicament, if you put more money in and it still doesn't work then you're out even more, or if you trade off you could be missing out on something you like the looks of better. IMO the direction you have gone with your bike you just may be a Streetglide kinda guy and there ain't nothing wrong with that either
Thank you for answering the question. It's the touring craze that's driving the low ball offers for trade. ( or even selling privately for that matter) Now that you mention it there are two flstfb's that have been sitting there for a year now on showroom floor.

I can stay with the bike and be happy as I do love it ( just not on trips) and that is what I am feeling I want to do. When I bought it I didn't realize just how tired I would get of riding the same roads day in and day out. I have been on some long 4 day rides but for the most part problably 6 thousand miles out of the 10,000 have happened in my little state of rhode island. I want to get out there more now that I have had a taste of it. Not to say I won't have to make a touring bike fit me by adding parts but I think in the end it is what is needed. I have the bike listed here and on cycle trader right now. Most bikes in my area for sale have less than 3000 miles so hopefully that doesn't screw me over. Hoping they come out with a road glide that is blacked out. One of the reasons I love the lo is it's easy to clean. Found a nice 2012 road glide cvo but not sure I'm willing to drop 30 g's on a bike. If I could get the road glide and keep the Fatboy that would be ideal. Just not feasible unless I was able to ride year round.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:34 PM
ryan_veezy
Novice

New around here and wasnt going to post until my bike comes out the shop. Just ordered V&H 2 into 2 (Black), Big sucker with a cover, fuel cap and guage (I thing RS) sissy bar, back rest, Mustang seat and passanger seat, Headlight ring (black) transmission cover (black)

Just over paid and had these bars put on (risers and cables and grips) they are Burly 14in Apes 1.25. With Burly control kit 16 inch gorilla. I wanted 1.50 in black but couldnt really find em.

The first pic is my bike, the one under is the handlebars I really like. Anyone know of anyone that would trade or something? Mine are pretty much brand new, as well as all cables risers and such. Let me know where to go or what to do.

Name:  FATBOY_zpsmneeuyiz.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  1%20DSC_1846_zps1uk0drho.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  176.6 KB

Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 AM
turd fergussen
Tourer

Originally Posted by ryan_veezy
New around here and wasnt going to post until my bike comes out the shop. Just ordered V&H 2 into 2 (Black), Big sucker with a cover, fuel cap and guage (I thing RS) sissy bar, back rest, Mustang seat and passanger seat, Headlight ring (black) transmission cover (black)

Just over paid and had these bars put on (risers and cables and grips) they are Burly 14in Apes 1.25. With Burly control kit 16 inch gorilla. I wanted 1.50 in black but couldnt really find em.

The first pic is my bike, the one under is the handlebars I really like. Anyone know of anyone that would trade or something? Mine are pretty much brand new, as well as all cables risers and such. Let me know where to go or what to do.

http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...249/index.html

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners