Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:12 AM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Specialed603
Hey guys. Random question. But I just installed a shotgun shock on my lo and I'm in love. I don't ride it slammed all he way down all the time but I have a few times and now I've noticed that I'm actually rubbing the rubber hose that carries the wires back to my taillight and I can't figure out where or how to mount it out of the way so it doesn't burn through it and then I'll lose my taillight and blinkers. Any tips?? I've been thinking of just jamming up high or to the side with some duct tape. But I'm down to hear what others have done....
It shouldn't rub at any time as the bike was designed for the suspension to occasionally hit the bump-stops. The shotgun shock can't go any lower than that. Unless you have changed your tire size, shape, if you are rubbing the wire conduit, it has either come loose in places and is hanging a little lower than it should or is put in in the wrong place in the fender.

I had this happen to me as well (before installing the shotgun shock) and it was actually loose. It is attached by thin double-sided tape that will eventually break down and start to release. As to position, it is is "supposed" to be installed in the deepest part of the corner of the fender, where the void is greatest between the curvature of the tire and the inner part of the fender. There is a template available with measurements for installation of the conduit either in the service manual or the conduit installation instructions, I don't recall which.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It happened to me too in Reno...I shot a man in Reno. My lights and signals were lighting up like an eat at joe's sign. I was riding lower than stock and hit a big bump on the way up there. When I got home I took it to my friend's house who has a $2K lift. The conduit ran straight down the middle. Wasn';t loose or hanging. The harness and wires were frayed. Took the damaged harness out. Cleaned off the fender good will ketone and used the HD double back tape and put a new harness on in the corner of the fender. Dude happened to have an 08 softail standard wiring harness sittin around. Zero dollars spent. F U Harley shop.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Fatburger
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Am I clueless? don't answer that one. I can't find anywhere on my pirelli nightdragons the tire pressure recommendation. anyone running them? can you tell me front n rear pressure? They were on the bike when I got it.

Last edited by Fatburger; 08-20-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:25 PM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatburger

Am I clueless? don't answer that one. I can't find anywhere on my pirelli nightdragons the tire pressure recommendation. anyone running them? can you tell me front n rear pressure? They were on the bike when I got it.
Same size as OEM, should be the same as normal F36 R42. Should also be on the sticker on the frame right downtube if it's there.

The following users liked this post:
Fatburger (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

bike looks good

Fatburger (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 09:25 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Bike looks reeeaaal good Fatburger. I'm likin those blacked out rims.

Fatburger (08-21-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 03:47 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

ILMFBL,

Ok, I gotta ask about your pipes. They look like V&H 2-2 FR's, but is that some kind of satin finish or just the light of the pic?

Old 08-22-2016, 09:26 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
ILMFBL,

Ok, I gotta ask about your pipes. They look like V&H 2-2 FR's, but is that some kind of satin finish or just the light of the pic?
They're V&H Super Radius, black. They are kind of a satin finish though.Great sound too if ya like that sorta thing. The wife says I'm cut off if I ever put the baffles back in which is why she's a keeper.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 PM
FatboyLoLife
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey boys been awhile since I've posted in here. Been working a ton since getting back from Sturgis.. so I made a mistake while I was out there. I saw this dyna lowrider S. And I instantly fell in love. I got home to Denver and waited a bit until I could actually find one, test road it today. I advise you not to do this unless you want another bike payment, because this MFer is seriously some of the most fun you can have on 2 wheels. Gobs of power and a very nimble feel, some front brakes that actually stop and woooo I had to have it.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 AM
Specialed603
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sbarron
It shouldn't rub at any time as the bike was designed for the suspension to occasionally hit the bump-stops. The shotgun shock can't go any lower than that. Unless you have changed your tire size, shape, if you are rubbing the wire conduit, it has either come loose in places and is hanging a little lower than it should or is put in in the wrong place in the fender.

I had this happen to me as well (before installing the shotgun shock) and it was actually loose. It is attached by thin double-sided tape that will eventually break down and start to release. As to position, it is is "supposed" to be installed in the deepest part of the corner of the fender, where the void is greatest between the curvature of the tire and the inner part of the fender. There is a template available with measurements for installation of the conduit either in the service manual or the conduit installation instructions, I don't recall which.
So that's prob it. Because I did change my tire size. I'm running a 23/18 now on my lo. And it seems like the double sided tape has come loose. I'm going to try and figure out a way of remounting it with some high bond tape from work. And try and stuff it up high in the fender without having to remove my rear wheel. This should be fun. Lol.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners