Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Sarge, The windshield looks good with the chrome frame blacked out.
Nice touch.
As far as your oil leak and loose bolts. My solution has been since the old dirt bike days till now is buy a big tube of (Loc-Tite blue) from the hardware store and use it on every bolt you remove and put back on.
It's not permanent and the bolts will come off easily any time you put a wrench to them but they have never come off on their own.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah that's what I ended up doing, i guess I just missed the two big bolts when i first installed it a year or whatever it was ago, and i'd rather have it leak for a bit than having one just completely fall out.. all the other bolts and such that were involved with the big sucker were loc-tited on.. and yeah, i follow that rule too..every bolt on the bike gets at the minimum blue loc-tite..

Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Firemed509
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Had a chance to ride with the 18" windshield installed today for a few hours.. man what a difference that makes.. it's low enough that i can see over it, but high enough that the wind comes up over the top and hits my helmet right at the top, but that's not bad.. otherwise nothing is hitting my chest anymore and what not (great for these winter rides, but i like the opposite during the summer). It doesn't look that bad either.. i blacked out the chrome frame to it, and the tinted look looks good.. the major problem I have with the thing is that now i hear EVERYTHING in the engine.. i hear the exhaust coming out through the heads, and the timing chain going and the primary chain going round and round.. sounds like everything is falling apart..but i know it's not.. except..

so..i notice i have some oil on the outside of my oil tank, so im like Wtf, eh?..im looking around for a crack in the tank around the filler, or if the dipstick isn't making a good seal..nothing.. a friend of mine notices that it's all over the rear cylinder too..like..wtf... turns out a bunch of things were wrong.. 1) the breather bolts from the Arlen Ness Big Sucker were very very loose..like i could remove them with my fingertips.. the o-rings inside the housing of the thing were torn apart, so that was leaking like crazy.. then when i got the whole thing torn apart to replace the o-rings..i noticed the inside of the housing (to the big sucker, not the HD intake) was cracked..i guess it was tightened down too far and cracked under the pressure. darn it to shoot. well, i got the o-rings replaced and the breather bolts tightened back down, so we'll see how it holds out. otherwise i might be influenced to start moving forward with a full Stage II upgrade prior to the mileage i was waiting for... yeah.

SGT,
I like the tent on you windshield is that a Harley one or aftermarket?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

This is one of our customer's bikes that just email me some pics of his Lo. This is how I would do up a Lo if I had one.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firemed509
SGT,
I like the tent on you windshield is that a Harley one or aftermarket?

Yeah that's the 18" HD King-size detachable that I had bought from another forum member, Jester750.. it's very nice

Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Lone wolf lo 10
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hogpro
This is one of our customer's bikes that just email me some pics of his Lo. This is how I would do up a Lo if I had one.

I really like what you did with the rear fender really really looks bad a$$

Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Lone wolf lo 10
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hogpro

I would really like to see more pics of this scoot

Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 AM
FatVermonter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Had a chance to ride with the 18" windshield installed today for a few hours.. man what a difference that makes.. it's low enough that i can see over it, but high enough that the wind comes up over the top and hits my helmet right at the top, but that's not bad.. otherwise nothing is hitting my chest anymore and what not (great for these winter rides, but i like the opposite during the summer). It doesn't look that bad either.. i blacked out the chrome frame to it, and the tinted look looks good.. the major problem I have with the thing is that now i hear EVERYTHING in the engine.. i hear the exhaust coming out through the heads, and the timing chain going and the primary chain going round and round.. sounds like everything is falling apart..but i know it's not.. except..
So what kind of wind buffetting are you getting on your head? I have the 18" detachable and I get hella buffetting from underneath (I can put my hands down by the side of the tank and block a lot of it). Not sure if the problem is exacerbated by the fact that I wear a full face and maybe the chin guard is catching a lot of wind? I hate the look of the HD fang lowers (even if they were black). Anybody know of any other lowers that might work well??

Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lone wolf lo 10
I would really like to see more pics of this scoot
I'm not a big fan of the bobtail rear fender, just doesn't look right on a lo, looks like they are trying to make it into a night train. Not my style, but to each his own.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 PM
whitelightning
Intermediate

I have the same setup, i.e., 18" windshield. Same issues too, wind buffeting so severe I felt like a bobblehead. I guess 'cause I'm old, I really don't care as much how my bike looks to others, so I'll do what makes sense to me. And that means form follows function. I put the fangs on mine, and they absolutely work. I may PC them this winter, along with the fork legs, but maybe not. At this point, a more comfortable seat may take precedence. Another thing that helped was using a half helmet. Not terrifically happy with that idea, but it reduces the felt buffeting.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-lowers-small.jpg  

Last edited by whitelightning; 10-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners