Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from left rear axle area

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise from left rear axle area

I have a noise coming from the left rear axle area on my deluxe, it's a ting-ting- ting. sound. Its most pronounced when I'm slowing with the clutch in, although I can detect it while the engaged in gear also. It sorta sounds like the noise when your car brake pads are thin enough the little metal tabs touches the rotor. I don't usually hear it on short rides, but on long ones when things get warmed up real good, its definitely there.

I never had the noise until I put axle covers on. I thought it was the retaining clip for the axle nut, but after running some teflon tape around the end of the axle and reinstalling the clip I still have the noise.

I guess if it were the wheel bearings it would be more of a grinding sound?
if anyone has any Ideas I'd appreciate it. BTW the bike only has 3000 miles on it.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:49 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you must have a Harley....
Wish I could help dude, it seems like any time I do something I get a new noise. I have a buzzing sound in the fron end now, after moving my turn signals....

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
gooberdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I would do if that happened to me. I would ride it until I could hear the noise, go home and jack it up on my J&S lift. With the bike in neutral I would rotate the wheel by hand and listen for the noise. If that didn't work I would crank it up and put it in gear(s) and accelerate trying to pinpoint the origin of the noise. I would be comfortable doing this on the J&S jack, not sure about any others.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM
E-Man
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have chrome covers on your rear axle seals? They will pick up road grime and will spin every once in a while causing that similar noise. Remove retainer clip and chrome cover and wipe it down. Hope that's it, it took me awhile to find mine.