Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-wired apehanger kit vs DIY install with Novello wiring extension kit?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:01 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pre-wired apehanger kit vs DIY install with Novello wiring extension kit?

Hi, I am putting 12" apes on my FLSTN and it will require wiring extension and new cables.

How hard is the extending and internally wiring part of the job???

1. Should I get the internally pre-wired HCC bars?
  2. Or should I do it my self using one of the kits eg Novello?

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Do it yourself. The novello makes it easier as they are color coded, but if you know how to solder you can just solder them on. If you don't have time or the skills to do this pay for pre wired, but it is not that hard. If you do solder them stagger the cuts so there is not a big lump in the middle of the wires as they still have to be pulled through the bars.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 PM
RedBen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I extended mine, I just went to the local auto shop, bought the right gauge wire and soldered it on. I used a sharpie pen to mark each wire so I knew which one was which. If you don't want to solder, crimp connectors also work. The other way to go other than pre-wired bars, is to buy a new switch wiring harness. I don't know if Dr V-Twin carries them or not, but JP Cycles has complete switch kits for $99 with 48" wires attached with either black or chrome switches. You can get new switches and extended wiring harness from HD as well. Soldering your own is definitely the cheapest way to go though, even if you need to buy a soldering iron.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBen
When I extended mine, I just went to the local auto shop, bought the right gauge wire and soldered it on. I used a sharpie pen to mark each wire so I knew which one was which. If you don't want to solder, crimp connectors also work. The other way to go other than pre-wired bars, is to buy a new switch wiring harness. I don't know if Dr V-Twin carries them or not, but JP Cycles has complete switch kits for $99 with 48" wires attached with either black or chrome switches. You can get new switches and extended wiring harness from HD as well. Soldering your own is definitely the cheapest way to go though, even if you need to buy a soldering iron.
Thanks, the HCC pre-wired bars come complete with switches also.