Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Rear Fender Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrspud
Mine had the nut's inside the fender
Mine's got the nuts inside the fender on a plate the runs the length of 3 of the holes. They aren't nuts per-say they are more like round threaded thingamagigabobhoochinanies.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:14 AM
rc_flyer_123@hotmail.com
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to purchase a set of Torx, does anyone know what the size is for those bolts? There are 4 that hold the fender and the sissy bar in place.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine were T45 and 2 were T47

Old 04-30-2010, 05:07 AM
toomuchfun
Stage I

Thanks for the info! I have the T45 but it is just a wee bit too small, the T47 is probably the one I'm looking for.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 AM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got some time Friday to try everything out. What a nightmare this was!!!!! Got two of the four bolts out I needed by whacking them loose with a hammer and heating them up a bit. The other two I had to cut the heads off and get out with vice grips. I ended up having to destroy one of the docking posts for the detachable backrest, but that part was only $7. Once I got the new bolts in they were too long. It looked like they could hit the rear tire if I went over a big bump. So back out they came to cut of a little bit of the ends. Took me about 3 hours to remove 4 bolts when it was all said and done

So Friday I'd had it and decided to finish the saddlebags Saturday. So on Saturday, the saddlebags went pretty smooth other than the 3/8" drill bit required to drill holes in them was the one bit I didn't have Anyway, got everything setup Saturday and the new saddlebags look and work great. I wish they were a bit wider, but at least they're not in the wife's way. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I think I used pretty much all of them.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:17 PM
xflyerwdavis
Novice
Default fender bolt

I am trying to install saddlebag brackets on my 2016 harley sportster seventy two. The shock bolt came out just fine but the rear bracket support bolt is turning with the nut. How do you get a wrench in there to hold the nut as there is barely enough room to get your finger in there. Appreciate any suggestion as I am not going to pay the Harley dealer 110.00 to do the job.
Regards
Walter

Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by ia2189
Finally got some time Friday to try everything out. What a nightmare this was!!!!! Got two of the four bolts out I needed by whacking them loose with a hammer and heating them up a bit. The other two I had to cut the heads off and get out with vice grips. I ended up having to destroy one of the docking posts for the detachable backrest, but that part was only $7. Once I got the new bolts in they were too long. It looked like they could hit the rear tire if I went over a big bump. So back out they came to cut of a little bit of the ends. Took me about 3 hours to remove 4 bolts when it was all said and done

So Friday I'd had it and decided to finish the saddlebags Saturday. So on Saturday, the saddlebags went pretty smooth other than the 3/8" drill bit required to drill holes in them was the one bit I didn't have Anyway, got everything setup Saturday and the new saddlebags look and work great. I wish they were a bit wider, but at least they're not in the wife's way. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I think I used pretty much all of them.
That no doubt ticked you off. What a PITA!!!

Old 10-01-2016, 04:47 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by xflyerwdavis
I am trying to install saddlebag brackets on my 2016 harley sportster seventy two. The shock bolt came out just fine but the rear bracket support bolt is turning with the nut. How do you get a wrench in there to hold the nut as there is barely enough room to get your finger in there. Appreciate any suggestion as I am not going to pay the Harley dealer 110.00 to do the job.
Regards
Walter
If you can't get a wrench on the nut, try putting the bike on a jack and letting the rear tire hang down. If that still doesn't give you enough room you'll have to take the rear tire off.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
That no doubt ticked you off. What a PITA!!!
Hopefully he's over it by now. That was 6 years ago.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
If you can't get a wrench on the nut, try putting the bike on a jack and letting the rear tire hang down. If that still doesn't give you enough room you'll have to take the rear tire off.

Good luck.

Hopefully he's over it by now. That was 6 years ago.
lmbo...Bones, damn it, man.I know to look at the original post date first. Too funny!