Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LaRosa Swing Arm Bag and Rigid Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Mario77746
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LaRosa Swing Arm Bag and Rigid Brackets

First, I have to thank WARG for coming up with this idea first. I simply copied it to fit my bike.

I bought a new LaRosa bag off of ebay for $108 shipped. The dimensions are 14x7"x4". It has double stitching and the inner wall is 2 layers of leather. I removed the leather straps to attach it to the swing arm and went with the setup below.

I went to Lowes and picked up some shatterproof 8x10 plexiglass and the necessary hardware all in 5/16. 3 couplings. 6 1" bolts, lock washers, fender washers and nuts. Total cost $15.

Next attached the couplings and bolts to the bike. I used a drop of locktite on the couplings. Then one of the plexiglass sheets. I free handed the bag against the sheet, marked it and trimmed it.

Next I placed the 2nd plexiglass sheet on the back of the bag and measured it to fit inside the bag. After cutting it I took a file to it to get rid if all the sharp edges. Next, (not pictured) match the holes up to the plexiglass on the bike then drill them into the bag.

Place that plexiglass sheet in the bag and attach the bag to the bike. The bottom bolt only holds the 1st plexiglass sheet to the bottom of the bike. I drilled a hole through both plexiglass sheets and the bottom of the bag to give it more support.

And your done..............Not bad for $123 and about 1.5 hours of work.

Last edited by Mario77746; 04-26-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Slopneck
Road Master

Looks good, man! Your work paid off.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Awesome Job!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:41 PM
NightTrain4Al
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! Just wondering, do you not run your belt guard? If I'm seeing the picture correctly it looks like you used the mounting tabs that hold the belt guard on to mount your bag to.

Nice work!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM
meatsack
Banned

Dumb question....do you have a sheet of plexi on the inside AND outside of the bag? What was the reason for two? What length of couplers did you get?

Last edited by meatsack; 04-26-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:23 PM
thornious
Cruiser

Looks great and great idea on using the plexi

Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Awesome instructions. I've seen a few of these swingarm bag mount threads but I'm always left wondering exactly what kind of hardware is required. Anyone in the US can find this stuff easily, but for military overseas (or any riders outside the US) its not so easy to find SAE hardware like the couplers. There is money to be made for somebody to put together mount kits like this.

The ultimate mount would have hot rod hood quick release pins inside the bag screwed into the couplers. The bag could be removed in seconds for washing but still be very secure.
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product

Old 04-27-2010, 01:18 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

nice job!!can i ask you what you think of the quality of the larosa bag! i have seen them on e bay too! i thought about getting one but some posters say they not so good! i no garage leathers are the best!!but does it feel strong?? is it good?
thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 04:02 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
nice job!!can i ask you what you think of the quality of the larosa bag! i have seen them on e bay too! i thought about getting one but some posters say they not so good! i no garage leathers are the best!!but does it feel strong?? is it good?
thanks
I've had both larosa and leatherworks. The larosa bags are made of thick enough leather but they don't have quick release buckles and the leather isn't finished very well. So, the larosa soaks up more water when wet and starts looking crappy and loses its shape after a few months. If I took better care of the larosa and put lots of leather dressing on it could have lasted longer - but since I use it a lot for mail and whatnot, I got a better bag with quick release buckles.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

looks great. Great idea on the plexi!!!

Quick Reply: LaRosa Swing Arm Bag and Rigid Brackets