Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Tire on my 07 Night Train

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Tire on my 07 Night Train

Well, it took some doing and I tried 2 other tires before I found one that would work. It handles decent and the rubber is a softer compound than the stock Dunlop wide tire on the wide tire Softails. The fingernail test never lies.

This Falken
is rated for 40k miles but I think I'll probably only get 30k out of it. Did the change myself because it's almost impossible to find anyone around here to do it. That's ok though 'cause I only have to do it every 5 or 6 years now rather than every year. Did you know it's a pain to change out the tire on the wide tire Softy's?

When I get some more miles on it and dial in the air pressure I'll come back and give an updated review.

Feels and looks good so far though.

Pics to follow as well ...

PS: I'm not advocating anyone use a car tire on their bike. just relaying my experience with one. As far as I know, the only HD's this works on, are the wide tire Softails and the 09 and later Electra Glides.

Edit: Others have also successfully used the following tires on the wide tire Softail's.

-205/55ZR17 General Exclaim ---- Old Coyote

-BF Goodrich g-Force t/a KDW2, 205/50ZR17 ---- Red9

Last edited by BoomerBob; 07-26-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen this done on a few metrics before. In fact a guy I worked with had one on his Honda. I'm not that cheap to try a car tire. I will say that if it's rated at 40k then it aint that soft. Plus a car tires tread is flatter than a bike tire. To each their own. I'll stick with my Avons. One thing to think of is that tires harden over time with each heat cycle, Good luck and ride safe

Old 04-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations. Your one of the few that has the ***** to try something "new". It's not really new, but it hasn't been done since H-D convinced everyone that only their tires work. Keep us posted.
Coyote

Old 04-30-2010, 07:14 AM
kiwifulla
Cruiser

cant wait to see the pics , there is a guy over here is aus that runs a car tyre on a old shovel and he said he gets 40000kms . just takes a bit of getting used too

Old 04-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Punk09Rocker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id hate to see what happens in a tight turn when the sidewall is taking more load than its intended to...

Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how did you get a place to mount it? they wont do it around here

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tk353
how did you get a place to mount it? they wont do it around here
I did it myself. I picked up a Harbor Frieght tire changer and some long tire spoons. I was able to easily remove the old tire and get the first lip over on the new tire but the final lip had me on the floor with some 4x4's under it to protect the sprocket. I could have used another set of hands but I got it done anyway. I used 3 oz's Dyna Beads to balance it.

The tire seated easily. I started out with 50 psi which is labeled as max for this tire. I'm down to about 47 psi and noticed a significant improvement. I suspect I'll find the sweet spot in the 42-45 psi.

Edit: The magic air pressure for this tire on this bike is 40 psi. Any lower or higher and the handling degrades somewhat.

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I've seen this done on a few metrics before. In fact a guy I worked with had one on his Honda. I'm not that cheap to try a car tire. I will say that if it's rated at 40k then it aint that soft. Plus a car tires tread is flatter than a bike tire. To each their own. I'll stick with my Avons. One thing to think of is that tires harden over time with each heat cycle, Good luck and ride safe
You are very correct B&C. I figure to get 5 or 6 years at the most out of this tire and would need to be changed by then anyway. Most people using this tire, if the reviews are to be believed, only get about 18-20k miles out of these tires.

It does ride differently. It takes a little more effort to go from going to the right to going to the left and visa versa. I figure I'll be used to it by the end of today's ride.

As a rule; car tires are made of a softer compound than MC tires. This Falken tire is a high performance tire which makes the compound even softer than standard car tires.

I'll take a longer ride later today to see how it feels on the highway. This tire is shorter so I picked up some quickness off the line. I'm hoping 6th gear will be perfect now. With the MC tire I couldn't really get into 6th until 70 mph. If I can comfortable get into 6th at 60 mph I'll be happy.

Here's a couple of pics ...

Before CT

Last edited by BoomerBob; 05-09-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Best air pressure
Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
felixsum
Tourer

Looks frighteningly dangerous on any tight turn. Hope your running that thing in a straight line, I don't think the sidewall is made for grip on the pavement.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Boomer... It looks good. You just take it easy brother you got lots of time to get used to that car tire. Good on you for trying something new. Has anyone said how it reacts in wet weather? Being more flat I wonder if there a more chances of hydroplaning. Just ride safe while you feel it out brah.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Joe477
Tourer

I'm with you brother......Screw all the tire companies and their fancy research on how to design tires for specific application, like motorcycles.(I'm sure they only spent millions). That flat tire with the almost 90 degree edges will work much better for cornering rather than the gradual slope of mc tires. Good luck at any rate........................

Quick Reply: Car Tire on my 07 Night Train