Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags

I installed the Ghost Bracket removable saddlebag system on my '08 Heritage after Sturgis '08. While preparing for a road trip this past week, I found that the low side bag was sagging into the rear wheel hub nut, cutting a hole in to the bag.

Ghost Brackets installation instructions prompt you to remove the OEM bracket from the bike side of the bag. This takes away the lower support arm and eventually allows the bag to sag.

Brainstorming with a friend at his custom shop, we decided to put the original OEM bracket back on since it has the spacers Ghost Brackets require already welded to the bracket. We put the Ghost Bracket on over the top of the OEM bracket using the GB provided spacers for the lower two bolts.

Now, the problem was what to do with the lower support arm. Bolting it on kind of defeats the purpose. We came up with the idea of a linch & hitch pin system. That in and of itself worked pretty good. I took it a step further. I had the old rubber bushings from the OEM passenger footpegs. I drilled a hole in the long threaded end of the bushing big enough for the hitch pin. Then, I bolted the short threaded end to the lower support arm of the bracket on the bag using the original chrome nut. Walla, using a hitch pin through the hole on the other end, I can quick release the lower support to the support bracket on the passenger floorboards.

See pictures. If you look at the bottom edge of the bag, you can see a metal strip. That is a patch

Attached Thumbnails Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags-p5030004-small-.jpg   Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags-p5030007-small-.jpg   Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags-p5030008-small-.jpg   Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags-p5030009-small-.jpg   Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags-p5030011-small-.jpg  

Old 05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced

One more picture showing a close up of it mounted on the bike. You'll notice I have a key ring connected to the hitch pin on the back side of the mount. This makes it easier to grab the hitch pin to pull it out. It only takes me a couple more seconds on each bag to remove than with the Ghost Brackets themselves.

Also, with just the Ghost Brackets and no lower support, I never realized this, but the bags rattled quite a bit. Putting the lower support back in the equation, the bags are solid, no more rattle.

Attached Thumbnails Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags-p5030014-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Colorado08FLSTCI; 05-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 PM
NightTrain4Al
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice mod! I am designing something similar for my solo bag. I want it to be rigid mounted but easy to remove for service. I will post up when I get it done.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you gotta love Yanke ingenuity!!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced

Thanks NT & aviator. I also copied & pasted my post to the distributor of Ghost/Edge brackets so maybe they can modify their instructions and manufacture a similar bushing already pre-drilled.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

When I was deciding on what quick detach kit to install on my Heritage, no lower support was exactly the reason why I decided not to use the Ghost brackets, and instead chose the Barebacks kit.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced

Not sure if I just wasn't looking in the right places, but when I researched detachable brackets in '08, Ghost Brackets was the ONLY thing I could find. It does seem there a re a lot more options now. Other than this issue, I've been really happy with GB and now, any issues have been resolved with this modification.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Colorado08FLSTCI
Not sure if I just wasn't looking in the right places, but when I researched detachable brackets in '08, Ghost Brackets was the ONLY thing I could find.
Sorry, didn't mean to dis your choice, glad you were able to make it work.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Sorry, didn't mean to dis your choice, glad you were able to make it work.
I'd also add that the Barebacks system is not without its drawbacks either - the fugly cotter pin to attach the lower support is definitely not one of its best features.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job. It seems like if you sit and look at a problem long enough ya come up with something.

Quick Reply: Ghost Brackets (EDGE Brackets) Install Modification for Heritage Classic Bags