Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering softail for twenty bucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts
Default lowering softail for twenty bucks

ok! you will need a 3/4 and 11/16 spanner,and i also used a trolley jack and a axle stand !first step is raising bike,and making sure it is well supported. i jacked the bike up,positioned a concrete block,and maybe6x6" bit of timber under the frame forward of the front of the shock bolts,enough room for bolt access!,i positioned the axle stand at the back of the frame behind shocks(see pic1)
then with bike raised,with swingarm hanging free,measure from centre of the axle to base of strut or fender,record measurement,thats your base standard setting! once thats done you can slide trolley jack under wheel to take resistance off swingarm and therefore rear shocks!(i did take trolley jack back out to help free up tight right side rear shock bolt,it was supper tight and actualy used the jack to jack the spanner up and free the bolt)nb:dont jack the bike over!
next step,use 11/16 spanner to just loosen off both front shock bolts(couple of turns)then i moved to rear bolts,3/4 spanner,i started with the left side,i had to lock in another spanner to get leverage,removed rear bolt,then removed front 11/16 bolt and slid the shock out!then moved to the right shock,rear bolt was tight,as i said i used the hydraulic trolley jack,and jacked the spanner handle up and freed up the bolt,removed front bolt,then removed right shock!
next step is to compress the shock to remove locking ring! a press is required for this! however i do not have a press so i used my trusty hydraulic trolley jack!you need to allow about 4-5 inches when you release shock due to the compression when locking ring is removed and end cap released,i used the deck on the side of the house,i placed shock on a bit of wood,with a couple of long sockets either side of shock eyelet to allow it to compress,jacked the shock upwhen compressed down enough i was able to remove locking ring with a screwdriver!released shock and end cap is free!
now you need to unsrew end cap with the factory bolts,when they are removed,unscrew factory bolts from end caps and change out to the longer bolts,tighten them all the way down to base of end caps!i used blue loctite!
now put shocks back together with longer bolts installed,compress shocks and reinstall locking ring over end cap!
reinstall shocks into place,start with right side on reinstall,put front of shock through the hole first and put nut on it,then position rear shock eyelet into place,you will need jack under rear wheel to jack wheel a little to position eyelet,bolt and hole up .screw it in,do left side the same way, then tighten rear bolts up all the way,tighten front 11/16 bolts a bit,use the two 3/4 boltheads on newly installed bolts to adjust the height of the wheel to fender,take jack out from under rear wheel,use previously recorded measurements as a guide,turning bolts clockwise lengthens bolt, lowering the bike,anti clockwise,shortens bolt,raising bike height!adjust to desired height!tighten front shock bolts up using blue loctite!
when i put mine back on the ground i had lowered it to much ,looked mean though,was worried about ride though,i jacked the bike again and raised the height a bit!
i was feeling my way a bit,im no expert and managed this job without to much difficulty,just some common sense required,if you can use tools,its an easy job!
sorry about the write up,i am no scholar or journalist so dont need comments on sentences or punctuation thanks!!
hopefuly the progressive photos to follow will help!

raise bike:well supported

measure centre of axle to strut or fender

Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Default loosen shock bolts

using 3/4 and 11/16 spanners loosen and remove shocks, loosen front shock bolts with 11/16, then remove rear bolts,left side first,when rear bolt removed,undo front bolt and pull shock out!

left side

Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

right side

Old 05-08-2010, 12:33 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Default shock removed

Old 05-08-2010, 12:37 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Default compress shock and remove locking ring

note sockets either side of eyelet at base of shock to allow compression

remove locking ring

Old 05-08-2010, 12:40 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

shocks apart! remove end caps

Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Default remove standard bolts from end caps

remove standard bolts and change out for longer bolts!nb:note one end cap with standard bolt and one end cap with longer bolt

Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Default both lowering bolts in shocks

Old 05-08-2010, 12:52 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Default before!! 4x4

Old 05-08-2010, 12:55 AM
kiwideuce