Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage gas tank Removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 PM
DaSham58
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage gas tank Removal ?

How big of a job is it going to be to take the gas tank off my 09 Heritage FLSTC ??

Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The hardest part is draining it without making a mess due to the crossover.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:14 PM
rowdy82
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not bad at all, like doc said its messy until you get the gas drained. Follow this link and you'll have it off in 30 minutes tops

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...k-removal.html

Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 AM
DaSham58
Tourer

Some say 09 and up don't have the cross over line !

Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '09' Heritage does have a crossover line. It's at the front of the tank near the mounting bolts. I've had mine off. It will make a mess without getting the gas out of there.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:48 PM
DaSham58
Tourer

I will run it as dry as I can and then give it a shot !! Thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

I belive its 3 bolts, gas line and a crossover tube.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM
CSRflstc
Tourer

Like everybody else said.... it's not hard, just messy. Run it as low as you can before getting started. I want to pull my tank off again to run my Thundermax O2 sensor wires along the frame, but I'm not looking forward to the gasoline bath!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:50 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Just did it on my '07.

You will need a large towel.

Have someplace to put the tank before you start.

Remove the seat. Pull the main fuse.

If you have the rubber crossover line.

First the crossover line is crimped on each end. They won't slide off and trying to cut the crimp ring is a b*tch.Now is the time to replace it with the braided stainless crossover.

Take two small vice grips and clamp the crossover hose on each side of the frame about an inch from the nipples. Cut the fuel line the middle.

Tank a larger hose and put it over the cut lines one at a time. Release the vice grip and let it drain. Push a bolt into each line. All the gas is not going to come out.

Remove the console hold down nut.

Lift the console up and remove the hold down bolt from its holder. Put it in your pocket. Slide the towel up over the tank to the handle bars.

Disconnect the cables from the console. Place it aside.

At the front of the tank there is a vent hose. Remove it.

You can put the towel aside for now.

Disconnect the high pressure fuel line. Grab the fitting that comes out of the tank. Push up on the outside ring and pull down on the fuel line. It will pop out. If it doesn't come out your not pushing up far enough on the ring.

Careful handling this hose. The fitting on the throttle body will break in a heart beat. They make a braided stainless replacement line also.

Remove the tank bolts. You might have to remove the hold down screw on the tank cover that runs from the console to the seat to get to the rear bolt.

Find the wires to the fuel gauge and pull them down carefully. The connector is behind a little clip at the frame. It should pop out. If it doesn't lift the tank up a little you'll see it. Disconnect it.

There is a rubber seal for the front of the tank that wraps the frame. It's gonna want to hold onto the tank. Lift the tank up at the back and work it away from the front.

The fronts mounts might have a rubber ring that sits under the mounting flange around the bolt hole. Mine fell off on one side and I like to have never found it. Didn't even know it was missing till I was putting the tank back on.

If you are going to replace the high pressure line. There is a little *** that sticks up from the side right at the end. Press that **** down and the connector will pull off.

Once you get it off you will know how it goes back.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
DaSham58
Tourer

Originally Posted by wlbowers
Just did it on my '07.

You will need a large towel.

Have someplace to put the tank before you start.

Remove the seat. Pull the main fuse.

If you have the rubber crossover line.

First the crossover line is crimped on each end. They won't slide off and trying to cut the crimp ring is a b*tch.Now is the time to replace it with the braided stainless crossover.

Take two small vice grips and clamp the crossover hose on each side of the frame about an inch from the nipples. Cut the fuel line the middle.

Tank a larger hose and put it over the cut lines one at a time. Release the vice grip and let it drain. Push a bolt into each line. All the gas is not going to come out.

Remove the console hold down nut.

Lift the console up and remove the hold down bolt from its holder. Put it in your pocket. Slide the towel up over the tank to the handle bars.

Disconnect the cables from the console. Place it aside.

At the front of the tank there is a vent hose. Remove it.

You can put the towel aside for now.

Disconnect the high pressure fuel line. Grab the fitting that comes out of the tank. Push up on the outside ring and pull down on the fuel line. It will pop out. If it doesn't come out your not pushing up far enough on the ring.

Careful handling this hose. The fitting on the throttle body will break in a heart beat. They make a braided stainless replacement line also.

Remove the tank bolts. You might have to remove the hold down screw on the tank cover that runs from the console to the seat to get to the rear bolt.

Find the wires to the fuel gauge and pull them down carefully. The connector is behind a little clip at the frame. It should pop out. If it doesn't lift the tank up a little you'll see it. Disconnect it.

There is a rubber seal for the front of the tank that wraps the frame. It's gonna want to hold onto the tank. Lift the tank up at the back and work it away from the front.

The fronts mounts might have a rubber ring that sits under the mounting flange around the bolt hole. Mine fell off on one side and I like to have never found it. Didn't even know it was missing till I was putting the tank back on.

If you are going to replace the high pressure line. There is a little *** that sticks up from the side right at the end. Press that **** down and the connector will pull off.

Once you get it off you will know how it goes back.
Thanks ! I printed this out .

Quick Reply: Heritage gas tank Removal ?