Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 16" 1.5" Carlini Flyin' Ape install today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Another 16" 1.5" Carlini Flyin' Ape install today!

My buddy got a set of Flyin' Apes after seeing mine last week and we installed them. He already had 16"'s so it was not too difficult although we hit a few minor snags. He got the High Roller risers in all chrome and they are like mirrors on top. I swear you could shave in them if you needed to.

I arrived a little after another friend who had already started pulling the switch housing, loosening the riser bolts, etc. I pulled the gas line, unbolted the dash, and slid the tank back. Then I unplugged the wiring for the bars and we pulled the riser and handlebar clamp bolts. The switch housing were already off and the throttle cables pulled out of them. the clutch cable was fine left attached to the clutch perch.

Once the bars were off the bike iot was time to pull the wiring out of the bars. Whoever wired the bars last time (no names mentioned) ziptied the sheathing onto the wiring just inside the bottom of the bars where the wires run through and pulled it inside so it took us a few to figure out why the wires were not moving. Once we figured it out we slide the wires out of the bars, used a peice of string with a small nut on the end to run through the bars and pulled the wiring back through. I then tied the string the the bundle of wires (having carefully noted where each color wire goes on each deustch connector) for reassembly purposes. Thsi time I actually got it right the first time. The wires were a little chafed from being run initially so we taped them up.

The biggest problem was I bent one of the pin connectors while pulling it through the bottom of the bars and when I touched it it broke. But we had a soldering iron handy and many willing hands. We soldered it back together without a trip to the dealer. Larry is a genius.

Once the wires were run I used my diagram I made to plug the wires back into the connectors, rand the connectors through the top of the triple tree and plugged them in to make sure all was working. It was. We mounted the risers and bars, closed up the switch housings after doing the throttle cables and grips and buttoned up the tank and dash. All in all a nice afternoon. Here are a few pics of the new bars on JohhnyBoy's bike. They look sick indeed. That is some serious girth with the 1.5" bars. Thanks Rex at Carlini, your bars are truly top notch!

Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I almost forgot the pic of the comparison of the two sets of bars. The unwrapped bars are Wild 1 16"'s, the wrapped are the Carlini Flyin' Apes.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:14 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good doc. how does he like 'em? carlini is the baddest as far as i'm concerned.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

looking good. Saving stock bikes one mod at a time right!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:08 PM
RNBONES
Road Master

Hey Doc. you and your crew got some bad azz bikes out there! Makes me wanna move west !

Old 05-29-2010, 09:37 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master

Originally Posted by RNBONES
Hey Doc. you and your crew got some bad azz bikes out there! Makes me wanna move west !
i know you were addressing drew, but come on out. the west coast is the best coast. your bones is pretty sick man. i like the brass details.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bars look great...I know those bars take a different riser (bigger than stock)...How about stock controls?? Will they fit?

thanks

Old 05-29-2010, 10:30 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Stock controls work fine with these bars as they are stepped down to 1" for grips and controls. RNBONES, I have to say I think you have my favorite Bones anywhere. Johnny is a bling man for sure.

He loves them. Once we got it all buttoned up he went up and the street for a while and had the biggest grin I have ever seen on his face. That is one satisfied man. I really like his chrome risers too. I almost think I should have gotten chrome.

Drew

Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, that looks FINE! I gotta see that and yours in the flesh soon.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:42 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Just a few more hours now, less than 12. LOL. See you in Gardena.

Drew

Quick Reply: Another 16" 1.5" Carlini Flyin' Ape install today!