Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Clearance With Samson Trual Duals

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:01 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ground Clearance With Samson Trual Duals

Anyone with the Samson True Dauls on a Heriatge Classic found they have less lean angle or ground clearance after the install. I saw a Springer the other day with them on and they appeared to be real low. Are they? Also noticed the Samons on the Springer had discolored quite a bit. Are the Samson pipes prone to discoloration? I do believe there are improvements with the newer Samson Pipes and the one on the Springer I saw may have been old I did not see the owner to ask questions.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Ground Clearance With Samson Trual Duals

Below is the comparison on of the Samson True duals and the stock pipes on a Deluxe (the frames are the same but the Deluxe is a bit lower). I have the mufflers instead of the straights. They are maybe just slightly lower but they are longer then the original bottom pipe.

I personally don't have a problem with clearance. I have scraped the floor boards but not the pipes.

I bought the full heat shields and after about 1200 miles I have no major bluing (small spot on the cross over pipe were the heat shield touches a bit)

I do have to watch when backing into a curb area. Can't touch the wheel to the curb.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:11 AM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one nice looking bike Bluerose and those true duals really make it even better looking. I love that color and what you have done very cool. What is your exact setup again. I read some of your posts from awhile back when I did a search on Samson True Duals but things got a little confusing for me. I also looked on the Samson site. I'm taking a serious look at the Samson's.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:14 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Samson true duals on my Springer for three years. They have discolored to yellow/blue but supposedly the newer sets of pipes from Samson won't discolor so badly.
Blue Rose...your cover is coloring because it's touching the actual pipe...mine did the same thing and there's really no way around it that I've tried to figure out. The bend is too shallow in relation to the bend in the pipe so it touches at the center.
The only time I've had my pipe tips drag was when my wife and I were going thru sweeping turns where I was also scrapping the floorboards at the same time. With us both on the bike or fully loaded for a trip our pipes are only a couple of inches off the ground....I do need to adjust the shocks for more weight I guess[&o] I've actually only heard the pipes scrape twice.
I like the looks of the fishtails and there is a different sound from them in comparison to the "round" tips.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Bluerose

Thanks for the compliment

I bought mine from J&P Cycles. Bought the headers with full heat sheilds (JP#442-175) and the 27" fishtail mufflers(JP#450-128). The guy I spoke to said that the headers were S-330, but i never found that number on the web Samson site. The Mufflers are the Samson #S-211s. They were fairly easy to install...only problem I had was the right one touching the bracket and a bolt which a couple of washers fixed.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

never had a lean problem.they might drag going down a steep driveway though,i have a set for sale if interested