Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faring for a Springer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
unimog_willys
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faring for a Springer?

Hi guys and respect out to all of you.

Now before I get for wanting to put a faring on my bike just a few reasons why
1- I'm a big guy (6'5" 325lbs) and Harley's detached windshield is a little small
2- I live in Northern Canada and drive my bike like I stole it or till the snow flies. It can be 0*C or lower for many of my 4:30 am commutes to work
3-I tour with my bike as much as I can. My bike season here is short, aprox 5 months a year untill I'm snowed in. I do have over 20K on my 2009 Crossbones. This machine is no but jewellery. She has been from Northern Alberta, through BC, Down the west coast, California Reno, and back up through the Rockies. I'm planning my next 3 week trip for the end of August.

Now to my question.

I was thinking of modifying a street glide or similar type of faring with the Harley brackets to work on my bike. I do like cruising around town with the wind in my face but on the highway, we have bugs the size of golf *****! I'd also like to easily convert back and forth.

Stupid Idea?? any body try this? any body make a full size faring for a Springer

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Faring for a Springer?-x-bones.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:50 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

This was looked into a few years ago by the Heritage Springer group.....

Nothing was ever found.

DragonFly which makes pretty cool fairings couldn't do it at the time..

Maybe they can now.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
purecountry13b
Tourer

Here's what I have figured out. I had the same dream. To be able to have the best of both worlds. Memphis shades makes brackets for replacement windshields for the springer models. They also make a fairing that fits standard Memphis shades brackets. So I put two and two together and I believe it will work. Now for tunes, there are many company's that make radios that either attach to handlebars, or onto windshields. http://www.ronsmotorcycleradiosystems.com/index.html. or http://www.southernmotorcycleradios.com/. I think that either of these will work, with maybe a little fab. Now for cruise if you really want it, http://www.cruisemount.com/index.html. Your front turn sigs will need to be relocated it you use the fairing, I was going to add a front engine guard and hang them there along with some highway pegs. This is my Frankenstein. Some will hate it, but screw it, it's your ride. The best thing about all this is you can take it all off quick and still have a nimble bike.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Spartaman
Cruiser

I was thinking about doing the same thing but haven't found someone who was able to do it. If you find some way, let me know?

On a totally separate note, do you happen to know either Will or Richard Soucie? They are my cousins and both live in Ft.McMurray. They are welders by trade.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM
unimog_willys
Intermediate

Sorry to bring up any old thread but still looking for a fairing. anybody find one yet?

Derek

Old 06-06-2011, 03:00 PM
ITZ4me515
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to Dragonfly in Sturgis in 2009 about this. They said that they will never build one. Because of the way the headlight mounts, they couldn't make a fairing that would fit properly, and work properly.
I don't think this is entirely true myself, and would be interested in a quick detach version if someone could come up with one. I think you could use the stock detachable mounts, and build from that.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM
purecountry13b
Tourer

Spoke with memphis shades at daytona, they said the fairing will fit, but the headlight must relocate about one inch lower. Figuring it out, and will have one on this winter

Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 PM
unimog_willys
Intermediate

looks like lots of interest for this product, but nobody is makeing it. I'm thinking to try the reckless detach fairing. I'm going to order one.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:07 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 944 Posts

Aesthetics aside, how do you suppose it would handle? FLH forks are oversprung on Road Kings and undersprung on dressers. When they had air assist it was possible to get it just right.

With no method of adjustment on a Springer, I imagine the Harley designers felt comfortable with the relatively negligible weight of a shield. A fairing, especially with the electronics weighs a lot more. I'd expect some handling and tire wear issues.

Just IMO.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM
ITZ4me515
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either of you end up getting a fairing to work on your bike?

Quick Reply: Faring for a Springer?