Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light and battery light with code p0562

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:52 AM
KSGG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the PO562 code issue starting last fall. Dealer found nothing wrong, then bought a new battery end of last fall. Weather warmed up again this spring, problem came back, ended up being fried stator and voltage regulator. Glad I had the ext warranty, got out of there for $56.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Casey0211
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Yes it is possible for the Voltage Regulator to be intermittent. Not very likely but it is possible. It's also possible that you could get hit by lightening . . . not very likely . . . but it is possible . . .

The Battery Tender will probably start off attempting to charge the battery no matter what the condition of the battery is. After some time has passed it will recognize that the battery is charged and go into "Float" mode. What you're describing sounds normal.

If the Dealer finds "Multiple" problems and/or several fixes where they tell you that "Each repair makes it a little bit better" . . . but it's not quite fixed yet . . . beware! This sort of scenario is typical of a technician who doesn't really know what is wrong and he's changing parts hoping that he'll stumble on the real source of the problem. In this sort of a situation you can pretty much bet that the last part that was replaced or the last repair that was made was the actual and the only problem you had. There can be multiple problems but 99.999% of the time there is only one failure. Always ask for all of your old parts back . . . even if you don't intend to do anything with them . . . it'll make them wonder a bit and they'll often be just a little bit more careful about their diagnosis. If they ask why you want them back just say that you want to have a friend of yours take a look at it/them to see what went wrong so if it's anything you did you can prevent the problem from happening again in the future . . . This is probably 100% BS on your part and you're just going to take them home and throw them in the trash . . . but they don't need to know that.
I think you're absolutely right. Shops always seem to manage to "fix" something, even if it turns out that it probably didn't really need fixing in the first place.

As it turns out, the dealer says I was indeed hit by lightning: the voltage regulator was on the fritz. I checked it out when I got home, and the VR is indeed new (I didn't ask for the part, but I know what it looked like before, having disconnected it to change the stator). And the problem has gone away. Of course, that begs the question as to why the issue wasn't discovered during the earlier charging system check, but I guess if the problem was intermittent ... well, you get the picture. At any rate, I didn't bother bringing up that point. I was just glad to get the bike back. But live and learn. And learn I did. I do a fair amount of my own wrenching, but the electrical system has always been a little bit of a mystery. This was an education for me. Again, thanks for your input. It was very much part of that education.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Graphite07
6th Gear

i have the same problem wit ha 2009 XR1200. been going on for a long while now.

check engine light/battery light. service manager where i bought the bike was no help, got extended warranty he told me the regulator and stator was covered. now the problem is getting worst and worst he told its not covered.

code P0562 low voltage to the battery? how ca n fix this? so tired of this.
dealership was no help the extended warranty does not help.

replaced relays checked all fuses and wiring. replaced the battery because the OEM died replaced it June of 2014, September the lights came on then i killed the bike they didnt come back, riding season came about the lights come on a lot.