Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conflicting advice on Fat Boy seats for a tall guy.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Bar & Shield
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conflicting advice on Fat Boy seats for a tall guy.

Hey guys.
I shopping around for my first bike, i have had a crush on the Fat Boy for years and that pretty much what im looking to buy now. Im 6'4" and 240 pounds, i know pretty much any Harleys other than the Sportsters can be modified to fit, but im mainly looking for a bike and seat that won't make me look like a circus bear on a tricycle.

The problem is dealer A will say that a higher seat will be better for my height, while dealer B swears a lower seat will be more comfortable, as i will feel like i am sitting "in" the bike, not on top of it. After browsing forums online i found the same conflicting opinions, for some tall = higher seat, for others tall = lower...

I sat on different bikes but never on the same bike with different seats, so its hard for me to tell. Other models i like are the Night Train, the Super Glide Custom and the Wide glide, all of which would be good plan Bs if i end up being uncomfortable on the Fat Boy, god forbid...

So whats the consensus here? If you were selling me the FB what seat would you put on it?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2010, 04:07 PM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most bigger seats will not only lift you up but push you forward. My barebones seat stretches me out a little more I think because it sits me back more on the fender but i'm only 5'10", but a buddy of mine who is your hight got a fat boy and he looked like Magilla gorilla on a minny bike. The combo that worked for him was a badlander seat, board extentions and 16" apes.

Last edited by shooker; 07-03-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Im 6'4" 210 lbs with a 34 in inseam and am comfortable on my 05 Fatboy. I changed out the seat to a C & C Fastback that lowered me 1.5 in and moved me back almost 2 in add Wild Ones 504 Bagger Bars and Kuryakyn Cruise arms ,

I think the lower seat and back position for a tall rider helps to give you more overall room leg and arms.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You need a lower seat so that there is a longer reach to the boards. Also some extended floorbaord pans aand a set of floorboard extensions for extra leg room. Check out a C&C lo pro seat.

A buddy is 6'4" and rides a night train. He put 3" forward control extensions on it and a brawler seat and it works for him.

Feel free to email me for discounted forum pricing on any parts you may need when the time comes, and welcome to the site!

Drew

Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM
bucholj
Cruiser

I concur with the others that have posted so far. I am 6'4" and I have a CC sport tour with Harley Goodie extension and fwd extended floor boards.
I sat on a road glide the other day, they seem to have a lot of room for tall guys also.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Angry

get the fatboy lo

Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You definitely do not want a lower seat, as that will place you closer to the boards. You need a seat that moves you up, back, or both. Floorboard extensions can also help.

Although it may seem to contradict what I just said above, I agree with the guy who suggested the Fatboy Lo. I'm pushing 6'2" and test rode one recently in total comfort. I don't know what mother Harley did, but there is something more going on with that bike than just "low."

Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

6'1" and have the CC Sport Tour. Same driver seat portion as Xarans CC Fast Back. The passenger seat is the only diff. They sit you low and back. The only concern I have with this seat is the width. You may be wider in the seat than us and the seat width is on the narrower side compared to some others.

Also, I reinstalled the floorboards so they are offset from the typical mounting points which moved them forward ~1 inch - much better.

Taller bars are another thing to think about. Changed the stock Fatboy bars to Heritage bars. Will be going taller with apes soon.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 PM
fattboy1967
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

my opinion ....big guy lower seat....2000 fatboy lepera barebones....i like sittin IN THE bike...have fun,,,,be safe

Name:  CIMG0296.jpg
Views: 7574
Size:  122.4 KB

Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer

try a heritage, you sit more in the bike. also the mini apes help the overall feel of being stretched out. just my $.02

Quick Reply: Conflicting advice on Fat Boy seats for a tall guy.