Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to aim fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Softail Tony
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best way to aim fog lights

I had to replace the light bar on my heritage classic.. whats the best way to re-aim the lamps after i reinstall. Don't really want to go with brute force but right now i got one pointing straight and the other is aimed slightly down.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a little confused....
can't you loosen the lights up on the bar and make adjustments?

CC

Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Softail Tony
Road Warrior

the light mount flat to the bar and to looses them I would need to cut the light wire again to get a socket on the bolt.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I did on my deluxe. Can't speak for the heritage but it has to be similar.

Take the trim ring off and let the bulb dangle.

Loosen the nut with a crescent, you have to make sure it's loose enough to be able to move the light but stay put after you adjust it until you can tighten the nut again.

Put the bulb and trim ring back on. I tried to just hold the ring and bulb on and adjust it put it didn't pan out for me.

Visually marked the garage wall where I want it to point based on where the headlamp hits, throw a black thirt or whatever over the other two lights and adjust.

Take the ring and bulb back off and tighten the nut. Whenever I tried to put the final tighten on the nut it would move the housing and turn signal so I had to repeat this a few times.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Softail Tony
Road Warrior

they look like the same light bar but the nut in my fog light doesn't turn and the one in the flasher mount i can only get to with a socket. maybe I'm missing something.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

There must be a difference in the way the bullet signals are mounted. On mine when I loosen the nut in the housing both the housing and signal are loosened and swivel. If I hang on to the signal I can tighten the nut fine.

Sorry man.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 AM
SteveInClanton
Stage II
Thumbs up Got your answer

I had the same issue and thought about cutting a slot in a socket but then stumbled on the correct way. One of my lights was turned and when i turned it straight the signal also turned so i held signal and it got tighter as i straightened the fog light so i thought BINGO. The proper way is to hold signal firmly with one hand and turn driving light counterclockwise with other hand to loosen. Swivel assy to right angle then make sure signal is looking straight then turn fog lamp back clockwise to the straight ahead position to tighten. I thought this was a great find and very easy to do but never saw anything in the manual about adjustment. My bike is an 05 Heritage with stock lightbar.